I am in shock over the price of Alpacas, what am I getting for 40,000?

r4eboxer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want alpacas for the wool for my homestead and a few of my knitting friends. I have just begun to look at the market for a few for the farm. WOW these animals are VERY expensive. I don't think I would ever recap an investment of 40,000, or am I wrong about that? I do not wish to show them but it seems like if you are going to recap the investment you have to show, get lots of ribbons and breed and sell the offspring.

Can anyone tell me how this all works? Do you ever break even? How much time do you put in at shows? Gosh I want a good quality animal but I don't think I could ever swing these prices.
Not all the animals I have looked at were that much but still 1000-2500, I did see some for 500 but it seems those are the ones no one wants and 500 is not pocket change either. I just did not realize how expensive the purchase price was. It seems that there isn't really that much of a market for the wool, except for the knitting market and that is almost extinct too.
I did see stud service for 1000 too, maybe I am in the wrong business and should have some good alpacas. I've never seen animals go for so much.
TIA

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am not into alpacas, but I have an Aunt and Uncle who are. I am not sure if it's happening any where else, but my Aunt/Uncle bought some for a lot and now they say that they are losing money because with the hard times, no one is wanting to pay a lot for an alpaca. They even had someone give them alpacas that they paid thousands for, the guy just couldn't afford them. Another guy took his animals into my husbands work (he is a butcher) He said that way he can at least make something from them. It's sad really. Hope that it won't be the same for you.

r4eboxer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
I am not into alpacas, but I have an Aunt and Uncle who are. I am not sure if it's happening any where else, but my Aunt/Uncle bought some for a lot and now they say that they are losing money because with the hard times, no one is wanting to pay a lot for an alpaca. They even had someone give them alpacas that they paid thousands for, the guy just couldn't afford them. Another guy took his animals into my husbands work (he is a butcher) He said that way he can at least make something from them. It's sad really. Hope that it won't be the same for you.
This is what I'm thinking, paying thousands for an anmial and then not recapping the investment and or having to take extreme measures with the animal later.
I am wondering if this is a very expensive hobby for some. Obviously it is making some people money but for someone like me I don't think the Alpacas would ever pay for themselves. I'd really like to have a few but not unless prices come down real fast. I am in WV and it seems we have some very successful breeders around here but WV is know for it's poverty rates. They must be shipping them out of state lol.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you look around, you can find some very nice alpacas for a lot less. You can find breeders in your area at Alpaca Nation. Alpacas have dropped in price and some breeders are getting out so you can find some extremely good prices. Even look on Craigslist. Yes, there will always be the more expensive ones but there are a lot more out there that don't cost $40k. If you are in Ohio, I can hook you up with several folks that are selling for a heck of a lot less.

r4eboxer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
If you look around, you can find some very nice alpacas for a lot less. You can find breeders in your area at Alpaca Nation. Alpacas have dropped in price and some breeders are getting out so you can find some extremely good prices. Even look on Craigslist. Yes, there will always be the more expensive ones but there are a lot more out there that don't cost $40k. If you are in Ohio, I can hook you up with several folks that are selling for a heck of a lot less.
Thanks, I visited your website hoping to see some for sale but I noticed you got out of the business too. I did find Alpaca Nation and those are the prices I was quoting. If I could find one for 1000 that had good wool I'd be interested. Oh I have a lot to learn!

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
ksalvagno said:
Thanks, I visited your website hoping to see some for sale but I noticed you got out of the business too. I did find Alpaca Nation and those are the prices I was quoting. If I could find one for 1000 that had good wool I'd be interested. Oh I have a lot to learn!
Too bad you don't live here, people are pretty much giving them away.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Yes, I did get out of the business this year. I'd been in it for 14 years and it was just time for me. I did love the alpaca business but I was also getting burned out. So I have moved on to goats and keeping the herd small. If you were in Ohio, you could find some nice alpacas for $1000.

r4eboxer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
r4eboxer said:
ksalvagno said:
Too bad you don't live here, people are pretty much giving them away.
I wish I lived near you!

I am thinking I want one white one so I can dye the wool, a brown one, black one and a grey one. I came up empty on Craigs list. I think I will plan a trip to one of the farms on Alpaca Nation, there seem to be an abundance of alpaca farms near me. I wonder if the prices are very negotiable. I can't see we have the demand to keep them all in business. Maybe I will come across a deal.

r4eboxer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Yes, I did get out of the business this year. I'd been in it for 14 years and it was just time for me. I did love the alpaca business but I was also getting burned out. So I have moved on to goats and keeping the herd small. If you were in Ohio, you could find some nice alpacas for $1000.
I am not far from the Ohio border and my SIL and BIL live in Ohio County in WV, If I could find a farm on the Ohio/WV border that would be possible. I will check it out online.

What should I be looking for coat wise? I have read 'buttery' to describe. Of course I want a good animal conformation wise but the coat is what is of importance to me right now.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I bet you would if you visit farms. I think once people meet someone, they are more willing to negotiate.

Latest posts