I am in shock over the price of Alpacas, what am I getting for 40,000?

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
fortheloveofgoats said:
r4eboxer said:
Thanks, I visited your website hoping to see some for sale but I noticed you got out of the business too. I did find Alpaca Nation and those are the prices I was quoting. If I could find one for 1000 that had good wool I'd be interested. Oh I have a lot to learn!
Too bad you don't live here, people are pretty much giving them away.
I wish I lived near you!

I am thinking I want one white one so I can dye the wool, a brown one, black one and a grey one. I came up empty on Craigs list. I think I will plan a trip to one of the farms on Alpaca Nation, there seem to be an abundance of alpaca farms near me. I wonder if the prices are very negotiable. I can't see we have the demand to keep them all in business. Maybe I will come across a deal.
I hope that you can come across a good deal! Another suggestion, you could do a post on CL. Just explain what you are wanting, and you could get some responses. Be careful though, you could get something you don't want. So make sure to do your homework! I really hope that this works out for you.:woot

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
Be careful though, you could get something you don't want.
x2

Make sure you get your hands on them before you bring them home. You don't want to be stuck with someone's problem animal.

Around here (in VT) you can get a good alpaca for $500. Unless you are planning on breeding them, I would suggest getting geldings. Less hormones and they are often cheaper. They are also going to be putting all their energy into growing fiber instead of babies and such.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
I want alpacas for the wool for my homestead and a few of my knitting friends. I have just begun to look at the market for a few for the farm. WOW these animals are VERY expensive. I don't think I would ever recap an investment of 40,000, or am I wrong about that? I do not wish to show them but it seems like if you are going to recap the investment you have to show, get lots of ribbons and breed and sell the offspring.

Can anyone tell me how this all works? Do you ever break even? How much time do you put in at shows? Gosh I want a good quality animal but I don't think I could ever swing these prices.
Not all the animals I have looked at were that much but still 1000-2500, I did see some for 500 but it seems those are the ones no one wants and 500 is not pocket change either. I just did not realize how expensive the purchase price was. It seems that there isn't really that much of a market for the wool, except for the knitting market and that is almost extinct too.
I did see stud service for 1000 too, maybe I am in the wrong business and should have some good alpacas. I've never seen animals go for so much.
TIA
For that price you will get a golden fleece or I hope so. :p

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
77Herford said:
r4eboxer said:
I want alpacas for the wool for my homestead and a few of my knitting friends. I have just begun to look at the market for a few for the farm. WOW these animals are VERY expensive. I don't think I would ever recap an investment of 40,000, or am I wrong about that? I do not wish to show them but it seems like if you are going to recap the investment you have to show, get lots of ribbons and breed and sell the offspring.

Can anyone tell me how this all works? Do you ever break even? How much time do you put in at shows? Gosh I want a good quality animal but I don't think I could ever swing these prices.
Not all the animals I have looked at were that much but still 1000-2500, I did see some for 500 but it seems those are the ones no one wants and 500 is not pocket change either. I just did not realize how expensive the purchase price was. It seems that there isn't really that much of a market for the wool, except for the knitting market and that is almost extinct too.
I did see stud service for 1000 too, maybe I am in the wrong business and should have some good alpacas. I've never seen animals go for so much.
TIA
:lol:

r4eboxer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
77Herford said:
r4eboxer said:

TIA
:yuckyuck

No doubt! I can't believe someone had the nerve to post 40,000.00 as the sale price. I am going to have to go back and look at that listing again since I have spent some time on other web sites and see why that price is so high.

I am re-thinking alpacas, I want to learn to spin and hubby likes rabbits so we are getting some angoras in the spring. My knitting friends want alpaca wool to knit with and I think having Alpacas would add some charm to my homestead. BUT and that is a BIG BUT, I don't want to sink a fortune into something that is a craft and hobby. I feel that 1000 for one animal is really high, especially considering feed, care and the work involved in harvesting the wool, spinning it and then trying to sell it. I doubt I will be able to sell much yarn. I have signed up for spinning classes this summer and will make my mind up after I see if I have a talent for it.

I will keep my eyes open and if I have nothing better to do on a Saturday I will drive to some of these Alpaca farms to take a look and get an idea of what is good stock and what is not.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could also look into llamas. The price of alpacas (11 years ago) was the reason we got llamas instead. I have never regretted not getting alpacas. You won't get as much fiber per square in as with an alpaca, but a lot of llamas have amazing fiber too.

AlpacaEmployee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you're willing to travel to Western ohio (an hour west of columbus) we recently priced a package of more then 5 for $3500. those were a gelding, two males, and 3-4 breeding females. I don't remember specifics, because I don't handle the salesetc, but You CAN find them reasonably.

livn4myanimals

Just born
Reaction score
Hi there. I am new to this list, and this subject caught my attention.

I am in Ontario, Canada, and I bought two nice fiber boys a couple of years ago for $250 each, and have gotten some lovely yarn out of them.

I've been doing a lot of research on Alpacas, and no, you don't have to pay thousands to get some good fiber animals.

People do spend some high prices, but that's only necessary if your goal is going to be breeding, showing and improving the fiber quality to reach the best of the best, if you know what I mean.

I'm no expert, and if someone knows more about it, please correct me, but this is my take on what's happening:

When Alpacas were first being imported into North America, they had to pay top dollar if they were going to bring in the best quality animals they could find.(not to mention just the cost of importing from another country) Those that could afford it did, and soon, others jumped on the bandwagon thinking that they discovered the golden goose that was going to make them rich, when they saw what the animals were selling for.

A lot of people soon found that the market in North America for Alpaca fiber wasn't strong enough yet to support the prices they paid to get into the business. It's growing, but it's not going as fast as they had hoped, so some who really couldn't afford it, and had spent many thousands initially, are now selling a lot of stock.

That's good for those of us who want to start building a fiber herd slowly, because prices are coming down for very good fiber animals.

I've been told that geldings make good fiber animals because their fleece becomes nicer after gelding. (Someone may be able to explain that one better)

I've learned a lot by just doing research on the web, and talking to those who have been in the business for a while.

Don't count out getting alpacas, I love my two boys, and it's so enjoyable knitting something knowing the yarn is from them.
Just take your time, and watch for geldings or males that people are selling as non breeders. Learn about the fiber qualities, and tell people you are looking for boys with good fiber but not expensive.
Anyone who is showing their animals or into breeding to get the ultimate best fiber, will have non breeders for sale with some really good fiber, but just don't have the physical confirmation for breeding and showing.

Hope this helps

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:

TIA
I just found a PAIR on CL in my area for $400. I hinted to my DH, lol. Not gonna happen though unless they'll trade for a couple burros, lol.... That is if my MIL is still willing to give up the burros. :D