I am looking into sheep and have questions.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score

Gaucho fence, idk the difference between them in the bekaert brand, but the wire is stiff! It's not easy to bend and tie off, like red brand is. I have two lines of it, its lighter than other brands. Just harder to wrap & secure around end posts.
Idk if it's good enough for cattle, but if using electric to keep them off it, it should be fine. Cattle rolls are much thicker gauge, heavy stuff!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A cougar can leap a 4 or 5 foot fence without touching the hot wire at the top, just so you know. Big barky dogs are a good deterrent, but even they are not 100% against a cougar. They are the best option though. Put your stock up at night in a board and wired in, roofed area that a cougar cannot get in. Leave the dogs out, but with shelter to get out of the weather and they will patrol at night. Don't give them the run of the whole place, you just want an outer parameter around the barn for them to patrol.

no experience with bears, but I understand that a HOT wire will make them leave.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate field fencing. I thought the small holes at the bottom would be great, they weren't. The fence has 6" holes in it. Sheep and Goats can stick their fool heads through it. If they have horns, they will get stuck. If the hot wire is on, it will continually shock them, pulsing of course. If you don't find them real soon, they will die.

The best fence for you at the best value is the sheep and goat wire with 4" holes. Plan your fence out, no need to put up a temporary fence, only to take it down later. Take your time, put up a good fence.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes the sheep and goat wire is cheaper than non climb horse wire, plus it comes on a 300’ roll. It will suit your needs. I probably went overboard on the horse wire after a bad field fence experience. LOL

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
DW won't be thrilled because LGDs are flock dogs...they visit people but live in the barns and fields with the livestock. That's a real simplified statement but, it's the truth. She'll have to accept they won't need or want to hang on a soft bed inside. That Aussie is pretty, not the best for guardian. Personally, Anatolian, Marema is where I'd go if I ever buy one. If you use all acreage, one will need to be a pair.

And you just thought buying a farm, adding animals would be real simple -- right? :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No on the Aussie guarding sheep, chasing would be more like it. Take yourself over to the Livestock Guardian Dog forum and start studying. Come up for air every so often for and ask questions. LGDs are different from any other dog you have ever had. Educate yourself. Read, read, and read some more. LGDs are not something you walk into blindly.