I bought a pregnant pig. Help me!

Hlail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I bought a pregnant Kune Kune pig as a pet, she’s the most lovable pig ever. I am hoping to keep a piglet, to keep as a pet as well. The mother and father (which I bought to) both are so well tempered. Anyways, when I bought her a week ago I was told anywhere from a month to less for her farrowing. They said they didn’t know exact date either. But them, and I have both felt piglet movement when she’s laying down on her side. Daisy loves belly rubs. I am new to pig birthing, and could use some help. Since I am clueless for her farrowing date, I wanted to post some pictures and others help maybe give me a ball park guess based off their experience with pigs. Any guess when she might be ready to farrow?
E7AEA1C2-3C93-42AD-B7F8-E485C4B65AB8.jpeg
01051314-A91C-437C-B271-782C6BA9DFCA.jpeg
D0870685-F469-446D-96C0-E45734B5495D.png
108D73D5-92D8-4265-BE68-1B7A1CBCA3FE.jpeg

Smerlo0417

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’m sorry I can’t help you with anything to do with farrowing. I just wanted to say that I’m so happy for you. We also have 2 Kune Kune boars almost 2 years old and I couldn’t agree with you more, they are wonderful pigs. My boys have very similar markings to your Daisy. She is very cute. I’m going to be watching your thread to see the advice that people give you and to see how things work out for you and Daisy. I wish you a lot of luck. I’m sure everything will be fine. Keep us posted.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I bought a pregnant Kune Kune pig as a pet, she’s the most lovable pig ever. I am hoping to keep a piglet, to keep as a pet as well. The mother and father (which I bought to) both are so well tempered. Anyways, when I bought her a week ago I was told anywhere from a month to less for her farrowing. They said they didn’t know exact date either. But them, and I have both felt piglet movement when she’s laying down on her side. Daisy loves belly rubs. I am new to pig birthing, and could use some help. Since I am clueless for her farrowing date, I wanted to post some pictures and others help maybe give me a ball park guess based off their experience with pigs. Any guess when she might be ready to farrow?View attachment 69376View attachment 69377View attachment 69378View attachment 69379
You bought it pregnant? well... lucky you🍀🍀🍀... some cant wait for it to get pregnant.. you already got yours on the spot... 2 pigs in one stone!!

Hlail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You bought it pregnant? well... lucky you🍀🍀🍀... some cant wait for it to get pregnant.. you already got yours on the spot... 2 pigs in one stone!!
Believe it or not, I got her and my boy for FREE. The previous owners just couldn’t care for them since they worked crazy hours and his wife went back to school. I did have to drive 2 hours one way to get them. It was the best 4 hour road trip of my life. I’ve never had better pigs before. I can’t wait to meet her babies, I hope they’re just like her and him behavior wise.

Hlail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No
I’m sorry I can’t help you with anything to do with farrowing. I just wanted to say that I’m so happy for you. We also have 2 Kune Kune boars almost 2 years old and I couldn’t agree with you more, they are wonderful pigs. My boys have very similar markings to your Daisy. She is very cute. I’m going to be watching your thread to see the advice that people give you and to see how things work out for you and Daisy. I wish you a lot of luck. I’m sure everything will be fine. Keep us posted.
no babies yet. But man they was kicking the hardest I’ve felt yet yesterday. She’s eating less, and laying around more. Hopefully not much longer!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's starting to bag but, not there yet. First pic I'd say possibly end of month, last, not so much fill showing. Don't see a milk line....when there's fill between teats.

Most pigs will make a nest before impending birth. So give her a stall or house with plenty of hay...She'll make a nest and even cover them with it if it's cold. I see you're in NC and we're having some decent temps this year.

As to birthing, they generally lay there -- almost in a trance and pop them out. The piglets are really mobile almost immediately. And.... you need to have her in her own area, not with the other two in there as she gets close. She will do better & be calmer. I'd prepare for that while you have time.

One of mine dug out a shallow hole and carried all manner of stuff for a nest. It was almost a hut! They will eat hay but, when it's time, they carry it to their chosen nest area. and are real builders. They covered them and uncovered them when they came to feed. Pigs are very smart. And, if you aren't aware, have their own potty area within their confines. She will clean up after the little ones, until they are up and running about.

So, you now have 3. I can advise you that the mom is probably pregnant also, unless they had the boar castrated before she cycled or separated. Somehow, I doubt that was done. You will have plenty to play with this summer.

I had AGHs....another really sweet, docile breed.

Last edited:

Hlail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She's starting to bag but, not there yet. First pic I'd say possibly end of month, last, not so much fill showing. Don't see a milk line....when there's fill between teats.

Most pigs will make a nest before impending birth. So give her a stall or house with plenty of hay...She'll make a nest and even cover them with it if it's cold. I see you're in NC and we're having some decent temps this year.

As to birthing, they generally lay there -- almost in a trance and pop them out. The piglets are really mobile almost immediately. And.... you need to have her in her own area, not with the other two in there as she gets close. She will do better & be calmer. I'd prepare for that while you have time.

One of mine dug out a shallow hole and carried all manner of stuff for a nest. It was almost a hut! They will eat hay but, when it's time, they carry it to their chosen nest area. and are real builders. They covered them and uncovered them when they came to feed. Pigs are very smart. And, if you aren't aware, have their own potty area within their confines. She will clean up after the little ones, until they are up and running about.

So, you now have 3. I can advise you that the mom is probably pregnant also, unless they had the boar castrated before she cycled or separated. Somehow, I doubt that was done. You will have plenty to play with this summer.

I had AGHs....another really sweet, docile breed.
Thanks for all the help. I am moving her tomorrow by herself. Between the rain, snow and sunshine I can’t decide what N.C. wants the weather to be. It’s been a really weird winter that’s for sure. I took a picture of her today, she’s laying around. But still eating, and honestly not nesting too much. You’re right probably the end of the month. My family is guessing days they will be born. I am saying February 20th. Not to wait and see who’s right. The piglets are kicking like crazy. You can even see them kick when she’s standing up to hanging out. I really appreciate all the advice, and help. Thanks!

Attachments

• A8D3DBE8-9340-4252-B909-E0E6910171D5.jpeg
    A8D3DBE8-9340-4252-B909-E0E6910171D5.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 487

Latest posts