I bought a pregnant pig. Help me!

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would agree, looks like 2-3 weeks out. The gestation period for most pigs is 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days, or close. The 333 is easy to remember. She will farrow on her own, but I always liked to be there in case a piglet is born in the sac, just tear it open and get them in the open. As with any new mother watch out for temperament changes. she may be calm now and may be afterwards....she also may be very protective. Just be aware, don’t panic about it. If the newborns are born when cold they may be fine or you may need to take them in to warm/liven up and take back. Don’t keep them away any longer than needed to get warm and dry. When they are moving around, time to go back to mom. After a few hours this is not a concern. Enjoy.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not sure if I didn’t read close enough, or just missed it...did you build a farrowing crate? We are buying a whole batch of Mimi pigs on Saturday..we will have 11 total, many are already bred. We are definitely already getting prepared. Farrowing crate is important. Plus..I’m not sure if you’re worried about this...I read the piglets should be born on dirt or a large rubber mat, so that when they nurse it doesn’t hurt/ remove the hair on their knees, We are planning to sell the piglets as pets, so we don’t want knobby knees! :). Good luck!! I can’t wait to read more!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been reading a ton..but, not enough. Our new pig, Paris, is on piglet watch. I read and saw on YouTube, that about 20 days after the milk line bags up is when they drop. They all said they go into a trance too. The farm where we got the pigs said they don’t do a farrowing crate, but do put up a board for the piglets to move out of the way in her ‘hut’. I hope you are having great luck with the piglets and that’s why you haven’t been active!! :)

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
some sows bag out weeks ahead of farrowing others bag out 24 hrs ahead and i even have a sow who never bags out until she's in labor! Same with swollen vulva Ive got sows who's vulva will tell me down to the minute when to grab my birthing basket of goodies and head out and another who never swole up at all and poof there were babies happening. Best way to know when they farrow is by breeding them yourself, short of that here's the only signs I know are dead on with every sow of every breed I raise-
Nesting- they will build a nest or build a berm with dirt and sand and rocks a few hours beforehand and may even continue to rearrange the nest while in labor
Soupy poopies- Their poo will be very much like diarrhea the day of labor as the body wants to make the colon tunnel soft so the babies can slip by in the cervical tunnel without blockage
Distancing- if you keep your pigs together like i do my females are all together once they're pregnant you'll notice even her best friend or even her worst enemy in the pen will suddenly all be laying on the opposite side of the pen from her as if to give her a magical invisible wall to farrow. Once I see everybody separating then I grab my birthing basket and go get set up. By the time they are all staying as far away from her as possible then she's already been nesting a bit but it usually means early labor has begun.
Some will still eat up to the minute they give birth but you want to limit her food intake during labor as her colon will fill up and make it hard for piglets to pass. First time labors can take up to 24 hrs before the first piglet but after the first piglet it should be no more than every 20 minutes from there. Make sure you have the following on hand: Gloves, vet lube, roll of thread, scissors, heat lamp, and tons tons tons of towels oh and molasses to add to her water right after she's done farrowing it'll give her that little extra oomph and shell love you for it.
I use the thread to tie off the umbilical cord as close to the tummy and cut so that there is less dragging on the ground to get pulled by its siblings while fighting for a nipple etc.
The lube is only there for my sows that are big enough to reach into, my mini breeds you can't get a hand inside to assist anyway.
Towels to dry and warm the babies while you tie off and cut umbilical cords clip teeth and neuter if you neuter at birth some do some don't I dont
If you go more than an hour between piglets some people call a vet, that's when i reach in and see if can feel a traffic jam or anything and if you can then pull the piglet from behind the head or the top of their snout never the lower jaw try to get one finger on each side of the top of the head behind the neck and pull
With goats you never wanna see blood with pigs its not so much an issue I have sows that bleed a lot after the piglets are born but before the afterbirth and some who only smear a little red on my hand and that's all.
be careful to watch afterwards that she DOES pass the afterbirth this can take a couple hours after the piglets, without the afterbirth she might still have one inside her and you may have a problem. I lost a sow on new years eve that way.

Hope some of this helps

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
also you don't need a farrowing crate for minis. and as long as you see her pass the afterbirth within a couple hours after last piglet you're okay, no piglets and no afterbirth in two hours then you got a piglet traffic jam inside her, that's when you check temp etc and for for your medical kit like injectables. Most true minis you can't go in unless your hands are TINY but you can give them injectable b vitamins and oxytocin injections to help her body push better. Just be careful with oxytocin injections cause YOU CAN GIVE TOO MUCH AND CAUSE HER TO PUSH SO HARD SHE PROLAPSES.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, clipping the teeth...with clippers? The farm we bough5 them from said the6 didn’t do it

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So, clipping the teeth...with clippers? The farm we bough5 them from said the6 didn’t do it
you don't really need to clip the teeth on minis unless you just want to, I don't see the point cause only the males will get tusks and only after they are two-three years old or more.