I Cannot Get My Doe Pregnant Again! Any Advice?

Morgan M Baker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello, I have a mini rex doe named Cami Anne. Her papers say she is a broken red but I believe she is more of a broken fawn. She has opal/lilac spots. Any opinions on that id be very interested in. Cami is my very first purebred doe, I have had her since the day she was ready to leave her mom. I got her from my animal science teacher who also owned a farm and always had animals in the schools shop, particularly a lot of purebred rabbits, which she allowed us to breed and do projects on. I have 8 rabbits, whom I love very dearly. Only two are purebred. Before I got Cami Anne, I already had 3 rabbits and was never really interested in breeding rabbits. But once I experienced it in the classroom, I was intrigued. So, I picked Cami Anne the day she was born. I automatically knew she was the one. I brought her home later on and soon after that, I bought a purebred male mini rex from a breeder about 2 hours away from me. His name is Casanova, he is broken red with some castor. When Cami Anne turned 1 year old, I bred her to Casanova, who was 3 at that time, and 32 days later Cami Anne gave birth to 2 stillborn kits. I was devastated, but from piecing together what I already knew, research, and some suggestions from a professional rabbit breeder, I bred her again 2 days later, after checking her genitals looked normal of course. This time, 32 days later, she gave birth to 4 healthy, beautiful kits! I was so excited and proud! Cami Anne was such a wonderful mother, and never seemed to mind when I handled her babies. She was just a genuinely good mother, considering this was her first live litter.
20161103_124633.jpg

20161103_125035.jpg
20160831_234723.jpg
20160814_235622.jpg
20160812_115445.jpg
20160825_140055.jpg

They all grew up to be happy, healthy, and ornery too! I kept one, the broken red male, and sold the rest, who were all females. The other 3 were all charlies. Fortunately, one female was returned to me, which I am actually glad she was, because this brings me to my current issue. I have bred Cami and Casanova 3 more times since her last litter was sold. She has failed to get pregnant every time. Im not sure what to do. Cami is almost 2, and Casanova is 4. Is he maybe sterile already? I've read that males almost never go sterile, unless the heat is a factor. The last 2 times I've bred them and waited 33-34 days, it has been chilly out, so it almost can't be the heat. And besides, Cami got pregnant with her litter of 4 in the dead of summer anyways, although I'm sure every time is different. She made a nest about 2 weeks ago (rather early) out of straw in the nest box but hasnt pulled fur. She was actually due December 1st and it is now the 3rd, so I'm not sure what to do as I'm pretty sure she's not pregnant. I wont remove the nest box because she has it year round, she loves to sleep in it. I don't think I want to breed her again until spring because all my rabbits live in the garage with only heat mats and straw to keep warm, and occasionally a heat lamp above the cages when it's below zero. I know a nest would keep them warm but i dont want to risk it. But if anyone has ANY advice or tips for me to get her to conceive, itd be greatly appreciated. I'm starting small, but slowly trying to start my own rabbitry. I already have such a long waiting list for babies, but have not been able to conceive. Thanks. -Baker'sBunnies

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely not an uncommon problem. Many does will not conceive in the fall with less day length. From my research it's somewhat genetic if they will breed year around or not. (Big issue in commercial breeders as they don't want to allow a doe to sit several months not prodcing. )
Things I do and have done to encourage fall litters include lights on at night, apple cider vinegar in their water, and 1 teaspoon of BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds ) . Lights are the only thing I feel really do much. The ACV and BOSS do help coat condition also.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I can clear up one mystery for you, anyway - Cami isn't a broken red, she's a blue (or possibly lilac) tricolor. Wonder how her breeder missed that?

To me, it seems clear that you have some sort of fertility issue going on here, though whether it's him or her or both, it's hard to say. 2 and 4 are pretty small litters for a 1-year-old doe; particularly since 4 was all she had when bred right after the first litter was lost. That sort of breeding generally results in the largest litters a doe can produce; from a healthy young Mini Rex, I'd normally expect 6 or 7. IME, Mini Rex seem to have outsized appetites, so it's awfully easy to let them get a bit overweight. Fat rabbits may have their hormones suppressed to the point that they won't breed; even if they do breed, they may not conceive.

Older bucks sometimes do start "shooting blanks." Do you have another doe you can try Casanova with? If other does have good litters with him, then you know it probably isn't him. If Cami has small litters with another buck, the problem is more likely to be her.

Sorry to hear that things are being so frustrating for you; sounds like you are getting a firsthand understanding of why I say that anyone who believes in the expression 'breeds like rabbits' has never tried it.:he

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So true!! I laugh when someone says 'breeding like rabbits'... rabbits that you really want to breed (like my Blossom) can't get it right. I have given up on her, she's being adopted out as a pet to a lady that is experienced in pushy, frightened, rabbits. I LOVE my Blossom, but she is of no use to my breeding program and is only taking up space and feed that could be used for a breeding doe. I wish you luck!!
And @Bunnylady is awesome. Listen to her. She is who I go to with my questions

Morgan M Baker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow thank you! And i do have 3 more does but none are purebred, they are all mixed. Nova is a new zealand/silver fox/something else according to my vet. Ava is a 'purebred' mini lop but she has no papers and she is quite small. The last doe I have is Cami and Casanova's daughter. I dont think any of the two would look good crossed together, but any opinions on that? People love the fact that my babies usually have papers but I do sell them as pets only anyways. I was however planning to get another buck in the spring to breed to Cami, as i figured the issue was Casanova. Now I'm thinking maybe I should get a purbred doe and another buck. And I'm not really understanding, a broken blue? Any explanation? Thanks so much! -Baker'sBunnies

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! Pretty rabbits! I see you've already met a couple of our bunny "gurus" :D Sorry you're having issues with yours. If you're trying to determine the viability of the male or female, using different partners or the buck with other does would be good regardless of the "looks" outcome as you're only doing it to determine if the animal is viable. If he can't get any females pregnant, or the doe can't get pregnant from a different buck, well, that solves the mystery. If she/he works, then you'll have kits you can either sell as un-papered pets, or as meat rabbits. Hope you get it worked out! Please make yourself at home and browse around the forum! Jump in anywhere you feel the calling :D =D

Morgan M Baker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also I have 2 more adult bucks. They are mixed. I have Smoky and Buddy. Buddy is a gray and white rex mix, he is quite large. I also have Nova's father, he is gray. I have on occasion had thoughts of breeding Buddy and Nova. My only problem is Buddy's size. He is quite large, although, Nova is up there in size also. I just don't know if it would be a good idea, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Ive attached some pictures of all 3. Nova has a giant dewlap, like her mother, whom I recently gave to a woman who cares for special needs rabbits because she was very violent as she was abused terribly from the people befor e me. Nova is about 2, ive had her since she was born, and Buddy is about 3. Also, the pictures of Nova are from when she was a bit younger, she has grown a little bit bigger, and also has a pretty big dewlap. Her mother had a gigantic one as well! Thanks guys!
-Baker'sBunnies
20160316_010513.jpg

20160317_121608.jpg

20160317_121550.jpg

20160317_120602.jpg

20160317_120617.jpg

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Line breeding is breeding mom/dad back to offspring. Or grandparents to offspring.
Inbreeding in sibling to sibling. Inbreeding causes problems from the limited gene pool. Line breeding tends to use the best of the genes from your line.
My reason for telling you this is you say you have Nova's father. Smokey?? You can breed him to Nova and try for your colors. Also, if colors are what you're looking for, then a REW will tell you all the colors that your bunny can throw. Rabbit genetics are very interesting

Latest posts