I Cannot Get My Doe Pregnant Again! Any Advice?

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could check the doe's vulva. It should be a purple-ish color for the best breeding results. As already said, it could just be the time of year. Fall is a bad time for rabbit breeding. Your rabbits are beautiful, btw!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She may have too much fat on the inside, preventing her from conceiving.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
And I'm not really understanding, a broken blue? Any explanation?

There's a gene, called the harlequin gene, that causes some areas of the rabbit's coat to have only red-yellow pigment visible, and other areas will show the darker pigment. These areas are often rather random patches, and they may be fairly large. For some reason, when you add the broken gene to a rabbit with the harlequin gene, the patches tend to be smaller. Sometimes there are lots of the darker areas, sometimes just a few. A rabbit that has both the harlequin gene and the broken gene is called a tricolor, because it has 3 distinctly different colors on its coat. Generally, you call a tri by whatever the dark base color is (black, chocolate, lilac or blue). Cami is clearly a dilute, it's just that her few dark patches are so small, it's hard to tell if they are blue or lilac. So she is either a blue tricolor or a lilac tricolor.

bff81aead94fd4cb93bf6da925576128.jpg

(harlequin Mini Rex)

5827978.jpg

(Black Tricolor Mini Rex)

Last edited:

Morgan M Baker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I think ill try to breed Nova and Buddy in the spring. Maybe even Nova and Smoky. Just seems weird because they are related, but i know rabbits dont think in that manner. Also, my teacher had both of Cami's parents in the school shop. Her father was pure red, but her mother on the otherhand looked exactly like the black tricolor, only she had a little more white. What other possible colors could her future kits have? Although I'm sure they are dang near infinite, but I'm still curious. :)
-Baker'sBunnies

Morgan M Baker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good news everyone! Cami was actually due for a litter on the 4th, but i didnt think she was pregnant. I came home from work tonight, around midnight, and checked on all the bunnies. My boyfriend has been feeding and watering them for 2 days as I have been pulling double shifts. Anyways, Cami had fur pulled, I reached in and... 4 gorgeous kits! One looks to be solid, two look to be broken, and one actually looks harlequin, maybe tri color! I am so thrilled! My boyfriend says he hadnt noticed she pulled fur (her box is in a nice dark corner) so I think they may be a couple days old, as her last 2 litters were born on day 31. I will post pics in a little while! Thanks everyone :D
-BakersBunnies

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
wow, talk about a nice surprise! Congrats!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yay for warm and wigglies!:celebrate

As far as colors - harlequin and non extension (the gene that gives you colors like red and tort) are the most recessive genes in their series. Since your rabbits are those colors, you are pretty much locked into solid and broken variations of harlequin, red and tort. Apparently you have dilution genes in the mix, and self genes, since Cami is a dilute and it looks like you had a tort in the previous litter. Good Mini Rex reds are chocolate - based, so you probably have chocolate in there, and just for the fun of it, maybe a wild card like REW. You won't be able to get things like castors or chocolates from this particular pairing, but if you ever wind up breeding to other rabbits, who knows?

Last edited:

Morgan M Baker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Heres some pics! Any color suggestions? The solid is probably going to be like the 3 in her last litter, the charlies, because they looked just like that. But the harlequin looking one, I'm not sure! Sorry the pics arent that good, i didnt want to have them out of the nest for long as its a little chilly in the garage, but i will keep you guys updated. :)
-Baker'sBunnies
20161207_122304.jpg
20161207_122217.jpg
20161207_122159.jpg
20161207_122145.jpg

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thats an awesome surprise!!!! As for colors, it looks like you have a couple Harlequin-like patterns, and maybe a gray, white, or cream. Its a bit hard to tell at this age.