I don't know what to think.....

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Guys something aweful happened. My silver fox had her babies but she didn't pull any fur so they all froze. She didn't even clean up the afterbirth it was frozen to all the hay. I burried the babies and tossed out the hay in the box.

I was told she was two so I figured she had babies before. It took several days for her to let the buck breed twice but she peed right after one of those times.

Should I breed her again? I want to just in case this was her first litter but I don't want to see this happen again. If I should when should I? She had them during the night/ early morning. (She had four)

Also I noticed her vulva is still swollen and she is digging in her poop she already does that just not as much as she was. She was also eating hay alot more than usual. Could she still be in labor and a baby be stuck or something?

I don't know what to think you guys

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think I will try again... They were really really cute and I'm hoping that she's just a first time mom and will do better next time

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rebreeding asap is best with rabbits. She is definitely "old" to be a first timer but it happens. Or she may not be a good mama.... if possible breed another doe or two at the same time so you can foster the kits. I breed 2,3 times over a time frame of 12 to 18 hours.

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Rebreeding asap is best with rabbits. She is definitely "old" to be a first timer but it happens. Or she may not be a good mama.... if possible breed another doe or two at the same time so you can foster the kits. I breed 2,3 times over a time frame of 12 to 18 hours.

I tried to rebreed her but she was very upset and she attacked him. I will try again tomorrow. We also bred our other two does so if she's not a good momma and I get to the babies in time I can give them to another momma.

I hope she is a good mom and this is her first litter. I don't want to have to sell her but I will if l have to.

Hopefully she will be easier to breed tomorrow.

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and rebreed her. Still not happy. She actually lifted for him twice.about 15 minutes apart but she peed right after the last time and I mean right after. After that she was done she didn't want anything to do with him. She already didn't but she was more mean.

Another question after she peed it looked like there was blood on some hay and so I checked and her vulva is still swollen. Is this normal for just giving birth last night?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would just watch it. And yes a swollen vulva is normal at this time. I would let her be and hope for a successful Kindling in 31ish days

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She only allowed twice but they were on separate days and she peed right after the first time.

I usually go for three fall off two days in a row if they will allow. She just won't.

Last edited:

Latest posts