I Got A New Wether Goat

goatdude95

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all well today my little baby pygmy doe was very sick and died so i treated myself to a pygmy wether goat but now thinking i forgot they are prone to get stones and the urinary thing please give me tips on how i can try to prevent it I do have mineral water I know this is bad i was not thinking but tips would help.
Also besides all the bad stuff what is some good things about wether goats i have never had one before do they make better pets ? info would be great

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congrats on your new guy! The great thing about wethers as pets is that they tend to eat less than does, they dont go in heat and become noisy, destructive etc. You can teach them to pull a cart, carry a pack, and even be ridden - all of which I do with my goats.

As for the stones, give him free choice access at all times to ammonium chloride either loose or in block form. If you feed him grain, only a cupful per day, and make absolutely sure that the CALCIUM to PHOSPHORUS ratio is 2:1. Feed him this along with just grassy hay. No need for alfalfa hay for this boy. Do all this and he will be a very happy little guy with no stone issues - do keep an eye out for them though.

Enjoy your new buddy, and I'm sorry to hear you lost your doe.

:hugs

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yup to everything username taken said.

I'm sorry you lost your little girl. That is always hard. Congrats on your new boy!

Do you have a goat buddy for your new boy? Since goats are so social they are generally much happier with a goat friend to play with.

goatdude95

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes most definitaly He will be with 2 doe's 1 buck also about to get a few more doe's in a few days trying to start a small herd for fun