I got two rabbits Need help

KushMama

Just born
Reaction score
So i have been running crazy trying to figure out my rabbits furr issue, though i had for a few weeks. Its flaky/dry sometimes but half it is black like and some around her neck is pink like. i put veggie oil on her thinking she had mange mites she also had some hair lose around the eye once and i put water and oil on it and the hair is grown back(MAybe the oil worked that it was a shedding).I believe its a Satin rabbit due to the shiny and type of style she is.but i want to know how i can tell its molting (Due to the three month old Baby furr molting) or if its mange. There are white flakes coming from her skin and im finding that its flaking over skin. Twice a day i try to damping it. I brush her with a sergeants desheader and detangler comb. They like it better then the wire brush thing. But as i Brush her i am finding what looks like died furr that is white/grey and feels like dog furr more like. And she has shot spots where her new furr is coming in. I can tell this is a light shedding compared to my other one. What do you think it is

But I also have a English Angora who i rescue from some punk at walmart. And when i recieved her a few days ago on 7/19/13 she was malnourished, mates all over it was hard to move, until i relieved the leg areas. Though im still in the battle of getting the butt area, shes more happy and my kush bunny loves her new friend. But the new one as i had been taking the mattes out. I have been finding balled spots. The new rabbit is supposedly 3 months. And my satin rabbit aka Kush is 2.5 months was 6 weeks on june 15. Im a very cautious rabbit owner and I want to make sure that im getting things right. Along with anyone can give me suggestions on taking care of the rescued rabbit. In the last few days she always ate a carrot that was handed to her. Sometimes leafy things. Loves to eat the pellets. Once and awhile it will eat some hay.... timothy hay until next month ill get orchard grass. It has some territorial issues. When it want its alone time Kush would come up to it and try cuddling but it lunges and chase it away. It also bite me after i did a grooming session as i was petting her in her cage. She does great for about a half hour as i groom her. I had her on her back for a half hour once and was grooming her. Until i attacked one of the mattes on her leg. I use the dog/cat desheeder comb along with clippers and a wire brush, which both of them hate. Wouldnt blame them. I can also tell Kush does some territorial actions. Like pooping EVERYWHERE. But she really loves that, she finally got a buddy. We got lots of loves. Though i hope we are not stressing the new one. But we got lucky with these two being our first. Intro Bonding was great. They love to cuddle together. But this morning they were chasing each other(not knowning if they were playing or fighting i dont know. Though i also see them eatting each others food while they have some outside of there mouth like a leaf as they chew what they got in there mouth with some hanging out of the mouth. I dont know if i should leave that alone or make them leave each other alone as they eat there snack. I have been a bunny owner since i got Kush so any tips to help me with these guys that would help. I have done much research. Im also trying to make a website Pet guide so whatever suggestions you gave me ill put it in my guide.

Thanks

KushMama

Just born
Reaction score
Check the editted version the bold is the questions. Also i added a few things.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bald spots under heavy mattes will be normal, but you should get the mattes off and brush often to prevent it happening in the future.

Rabbits do get a "walking" mange mite, Cheyletiella. You can search online and see if it sounds like what your bunny has.

Sometimes rabbits don't get along well. Once females start to come into season, they tend to fight and get territorial so I would watch carefully for issues of that sort.

KushMama

Just born
Reaction score
I have looked in that when it was first spotted. As i said i have done tones of research. I look carfully at the flakes on her furr, they dont move. Even if it was that I am getting a spray for her that is for mange all natural. But i have also forgot to mentioned was that she had been given a spray that her skin didnt like. She didnt like it at all. Though i dont know how i can tell her skin was bothered by that spray its from superpets instant shampoo that didnt wash out. Along with they get a long quiet well, they love to cuddle together. Kush will come up to gremlian after i did a long session of grooming and will comfort her.

Sycamore27

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It's hard to tell you exactly what's happening with the fur loss without a very clear closeup picture, but what your describing does sound like a normal seasonal shed. Adult rabbits often molt yearly or more depending on breed. If you do not see any redness, crusting, or lice/mites than I think that is all that is happening. If the flaking doesn't go away after the molt is finished I might give the rabbit a tablespoon of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) once a week to add some healthful oils to the skin.

As for the rescued rabbit, I would slowly introduce some BOSS and rolled oats(NOT instant ones) and give a tablespoon of those on alternating days (BOSS one day, oats the next) to help her gain weight back. A great way to do that and maybe make your attempts at cleaning up that coat easier (and keep your other bun from getting jealous for not getting treats too) would be to put them in a shallow dish for her to nibble while you get in a little grooming.

My rabbits will eat hay from either end and the same with any larger treats I give them, as long as they aren't fighting over them or one is not hogging everything for herself it's not something to worry about.

Cheers,
Jessie

KushMama

Just born
Reaction score
I was going to show you all the patch. I just got my spray and it seems that i whip her down with it. The patch is getting white/normal from pink and flaky(being that way for a few weeks). So as i hope to see progress, ill hope to see this vetless cure for mange. they are not adults Sycamore they are about 3 months old. So thats why i mentioned the baby hair lose. (sad to see that cute soft stuff go) Also thank you for the H-R tip about the sunflower oil. Be sure to use it.

AS FOR THE RESCUED RABBIT STATUS:

-Matts are out(Freaken finally)
-Its a shy attention hog. (She nudges for attention and then if you make a effort to go to it. It run away. But once picked up she wont let you stop petting her. Though if she is really relax and cuddled like this morning on the bed she wont move)
-Im going to be getting orchade grass for them and more timothy hay.
-In september ill be introducing oats
-I give Kush a fat small baby carrot (Though she doesnt like eatting from the big cunks of carrots.) Grimlian gets a skinny carrot.

Ill try to post pictures once i get 10 post made. (Made this account to get help with my little babies<3 :love