I Hate Green Briars!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is disconcerting!!! I have 4" on the west side of the "pasture". A good part of that has the (poorly) fenced garden on the east side but there is about 40' of 4" including the gate. Might need to do something about that. After the fox came through the 6" on the west fence it got covered with 2x4 knotted on the other side of the posts. If a fox can get through 2x4 and 6" I guess there isn't anything I can do!

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is disconcerting!!! I have 4" on the west side of the "pasture". A good part of that has the (poorly) fenced garden on the east side but there is about 40' of 4" including the gate. Might need to do something about that. After the fox came through the 6" on the west fence it got covered with 2x4 knotted on the other side of the posts. If a fox can get through 2x4 and 6" I guess there isn't anything I can do!
Not 2 X 4, but 4 X 4. We have a whole lot of foxes in the neighborhood. They're really beautiful, and I see them out on the road, and in the pastures, and in the woods, and perhaps they've had one or two chickens of ours, but our LGD keeps them pretty well away. We had a near-slaughter a couple weeks ago--chicken feathers everywhere (from at least three different chickens, judging from the color), and a bunch of chickens in the trees, and our LGH absolutely panting (which he NEVER does), but only one minor injury and no deaths. (And it was back into the chicken tractor for them!). Our fence is designed to keep the dog in, and it's his job to keep everything else out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not 2 X 4, but 4 X 4. We have a whole lot of foxes in the neighborhood. They're really beautiful, and I see them out on the road, and in the pastures, and in the woods, and perhaps they've had one or two chickens of ours, but our LGD keeps them pretty well away. We had a near-slaughter a couple weeks ago--chicken feathers everywhere (from at least three different chickens, judging from the color), and a bunch of chickens in the trees, and our LGH absolutely panting (which he NEVER does), but only one minor injury and no deaths. (And it was back into the chicken tractor for them!). Our fence is designed to keep the dog in, and it's his job to keep everything else out.
Maybe you need another dog!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the many foxes came in on all sides. Poor dog. Glad he managed to mostly keep them from the chickens. My fence was also originally meant to keep a LGD in but after 3 weeks of him doing his job barking off predators at night my DW couldn't take it anymore and I had to give him back. She never managed to appreciate and sleep through the "keep the heck away" barks. :hit

Latest posts