I hate to say this but...

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't remember his name, but it's a horse and I believe his color is cremello:idunno
makes sense! thanks!

Shhhhh!!!!

*I think they're already here*... :hide
ROFL!! you think??!!??

That eye belongs to my horse. His name is Joe's Tuff Bars, AKA Joe. He is purest white, with pink skin and blue eyes. The blue in his eyes are the only pigment he has. He is 28 years old, anybody can ride him, he is sweet and gentle. He is a Quarter Horse.
Nope-wrong. :gig
he sounds lovely!

This is Joe at 20 years old, giving our 89 year old neighbor a ride.

View attachment 32811
:love :love he is gorgeous!

So I got up this morning and commenced with the same ol' routine: let the dogs out, shuffle to the coffee pot, grind the beans, fill the carafe, hit go. Feed the old dog in the house, step on deer antlers, cuss the puppy for bringing them in, feed the puppy outside, feed the cats inside, fill up water bowls, and finally get a cup of coffee.

I usually check email with that first cup of coffee, but today I browsed BYH instead. I got caught up reading this thread; amused at the horrified BYHer/persistent BYCer banter.

Otherwise sticking to my routine: after that first cup of coffee, I grab my rain boots, head out to the buggy, and drive down to the barn. Time to go let the maniacs out of the coop.

Of course, the chickens are first to get breakfast. That's partly to just shut them up for a minute, but mostly because I'm a little worried that I may become breakfast if I make them wait too long to eat. With the chickens fed, next up are the peeps. Slop some FF down for the 3 brooders and fill waterers...done.

I get to do all this to the tune of "I'm starving to DEATH out here", belted out at the top of his lungs by my beloved beastie, Mr. E, the head honcho Boer and resident lock-picker on the farm. Nanny Boo-Boo and Mo chime in as backup singers on the chorus parts. Some might liken the sound to the cries of a tortured animal. I'd say that's about right but I try to hum along anyway while I fill scoops of goat kibble and gather up hay.

You may be wondering why I'm telling you all this. Well, here's why...

As per usual, as soon as the first bit of goat kibble hits the bowls, the chickens come running. Have you ever heard 50 or so chickens running? It's enough to make you double-check that you're on solid ground with steady footing...lest you fall...

Anyway, the chickens come stampeding into the barn all chattery and fluttery and bossy and bickery and squawky and ba-gwawky. The nosy biddies converge on the goats, jumping and flapping and doing their dangdest to get a view of what's on the menu for the goats morning meal. Before long, the goats look like they are wearing chicken coats and hats. The birds are walking on their backs, peering over their shoulders, perching on their heads and doing everything in their birdy powers to "share" breakfast with the goats.

And, as per usual, I hang around shoving birds off backs and heads and horns and out of food bowls so the goats can eat in peace.

This is a daily thing. Just part of the routine. Only today, I found it amusing because while I was playing chicken whack-a-mole, it reminded me of this thread. You BYHer's are just like my poor goats. Just trying to do your thing. Sing your song, eat some grub and stick to your routine. Us BYCer's...well, we're the obnoxious chickens barging in all chattery and fluttery trying to 'share' all your stuff. Like it or not. And there's no one around to knock us off your food bowls. :barnie

We're not trying to be rude. We just think your breakfast looks delicious. And we're staaaaaaarving. Ba-GWAWK!

No worries though, as soon as Nifty opens the feed bag back up, we'll rush back home.

Thanks for putting up with us, guys. We do appreciate it. Really. :hugs
:yuckyuck great story!!

20170511_090941_zpsoh3mx0jr.jpg

@sunflour - this is the "view" off my back porch. Not quite so "distant" for me, lol (the Big Blonde wants me to let her mow the back yard - wouldn't it be nice if they could do some of the other things on my "Bunny do" list ?)
she's adorable!!

Kiki

Not just born
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:lol:

I can suggest west of Austin. I'm in love with Dripping Springs. Gorgeous, gorgeous country over here. :)
I actually wouldn't mind moving to a different town but the green dollars are coming from Houston, for us...so we will need to stay fairly close to this city.

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Wandercreek that is funny!
LOL I use to have 250+ free range birds of 17 different varieties. I am now down to a handful that poop all over my porch, hang out at the milk stanchion for goat feed that falls, a few that are gimpy due to old broken legs that didn't set right and old timers that will live out their lives here. I sure did love my poultry still do but gosh they can be a lot of work... not too bad for us with the ranging though.
The only thing is we do have deep in the woods feral multi generation chickens that even the possums avoid!
Here the chickens get out of the way for the stampede of the goats. ;)

Chickens can be a lot of work? 89.gif I always thought they were pretty easy. :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chickens can be a lot of work? View attachment 33225 I always thought they were pretty easy. :)

They were alot of work. Free ranging 250 + birds is the easy part but I only bred 3-4 groups at a time ( I had 17 varieties) and they would have to go in "open outdoor pens" for a month of cleanout then add in the roo then collect and incubate. Free range birds do not take kindly to being in an enclosed yard. They protest, they don't want to lay and they hate it. Then I had to CLEAN those pens. Of course incubating and hatching, sexing, separating, brooders, cleaning brooders, feeding , watering, marking, banding and logging. UGH!
We also raised Geese, ducks, and turkeys. The main building that our range birds could go into to sleep still had to be cleaned at least monthly and powerwashed. That bedding isn't cheap for a a large building. Then there was the slaughtering. Good golly! We don't like waste so the cockerels were raised up, slaughter and we fed raw to the dogs. So much time and energy. And poultry is expensive to feed! LOL The eggs! OH THE EGGS! We supplied a restaurant with eggs .... washing, drying, packaging! It got to be too much!

Goats are way easier! ;) But I will say I did love our poultry, I will do more again in a few years. Just not so many. Ny problem is I LOVE variety! I cannot just pick one or two ... same with my goats ... we have 6 breeds... that is 6 breeding programs!

These are our eggs!
Wingin' it Farms Poultry - our eggs (1).jpg

Wingin' it Farms Poultry - our eggs (3).jpg

I love the red eggs!
Wingin' it Farms Poultry - our eggs (2).jpg

Latest posts