I have a 2 month old nigerian dwarf goat I was disbudding and He is bleeding heavy I tried to caurti

Saundra Burke

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I have a 2 month old nigerian dwarf goat that I was disbudding. He is bleeding heavy. I tried to cauterize it but it is still bleeding.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Sorry you're goat is having bleeding problems. Normally you can cauterize with the iron... Make sure it's fully heated. You may have to locate the vessel to completely stop it. Sugar will also help clot if you don't have corn starch. Part of the problem may be the age of the goat... Disbudding is usually done at a much younger age before the horns develop major blood supply arteries... Once the horns start really growing, it's normally best to have an experienced vet remove them. Hope you get it under control. Please update us.

Ginger's Goats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
-Welcome to Backyard Herds! :welcome
Praying everything goes well!!! Try and stay calm, I know it's stressful when our goats might be in danger... :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Were you using a disbudding iron? Eight weeks is a little old for what we usually do around here... Hope you got it under control.

Latest posts