I have a question about my nest box

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to give my doe a nest box tomorrow. I have a wooden one from tsc. Typical shape. It is solid backed and bottomed. My question is, should i drill holes in the bottom and/or back of the nest? Should I remove the bottom entirely and replace with wire? This is the box. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/rabbit nest box?

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
bout the time the kits hit three weeks i completely remove the nest as i have learned even when i change the bedding because of our climate that i ll end up with kits with nesting box eye or other health issues and i dont tend to loose them when take it out. but we dont have normally cages we built ours more like hutches so there is a wind block and the roof extends for rain protection.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When they're still really small, they don't leak much so the bedding doesn't get damp. About three weeks old, the bedding can become damp, depending on litter size and the type and depth of the bedding. If there's a problem with wet or damp bedding, more can be added or it can be changed out entirely.

It's actually a good thing to mess about with the baby buns so they'll be used to humans as adults. Usually, I'll put some fresh grass, ti leaf, mulberry leaves or some sort of tasty treat in the hutch so the mum bun is busy eating the treats, then mess about with the babies. After several generations, the buns will be much more docile and friendly around people.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When they're still really small, they don't leak much so the bedding doesn't get damp. About three weeks old, the bedding can become damp, depending on litter size and the type and depth of the bedding. If there's a problem with wet or damp bedding, more can be added or it can be changed out entirely.

It's actually a good thing to mess about with the baby buns so they'll be used to humans as adults. Usually, I'll put some fresh grass, ti leaf, mulberry leaves or some sort of tasty treat in the hutch so the mum bun is busy eating the treats, then mess about with the babies. After several generations, the buns will be much more docile and friendly around people.
Thanks! Expecting babies tomorrow or the next day! My first litter.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have those boxes too, and after loosing several kits to getting dragged out of the nest or jumping out, I put a small piece of wood across the top. The doe has no issue with it and I haven't lost any kits since. I tried angling the boxes but it didn't make any difference. If you use wood shavings under the straw the nest shouldn't get too nasty. I think the kits pee alot in the first week. So I always change out the nest the first week and probably again in the second. Depending on the kits and what cage I am using I may or not take out the nest. These are the boxes.

Attachments

• 16190417813391856672984704446594.jpg
    16190417813391856672984704446594.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 16190418026875527054011464368691.jpg
    16190418026875527054011464368691.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 144

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I haven't used any other nest boxes and these are the ware boxes from tractor supply.
I think they are too big, but I know they say size has something to do the health of the litter. I check mine several times a day, besides the kits outside of the nest the other way they die is to get separated in the nest front the rest of the litter. Then they go cold.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but I've had the same issue with different does. Just that small piece of wood, sanded so its smooth of course has been a life saver for me. And just make sure you check them several times a day to be sure none are separated from the litter. The doe will do everything else. Give her extra greens and black oil sun flower seeds.