I have babies!!!

sred98

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My pygmy kidded yesterday! :weee I had been waiting so long that I had told my DH on Friday that I was going to take her in for a check-up. The people we got her from said she was due the end of October, and her friend kidded mid-October. They were "supposedly" bred the same time. :rolleyes:

After we found them, I waited a while and checked her. Saw something odd sticking out...it was a foot! I had my kit with me, so I went in and felt around...found the leg and head. I couldn't find the other leg. Called my DH out there, he couldn't get it, either. Recruited my 10 year old son, and he couldn't find the other one, either. Of course, no vets around. I called our FFA teacher and he was out of town. Called the girl up the street that raises sheep, but she wasn't home. She tried to call the guy down the road that raises goats, but she couldn't get him. I called a mutual friend of ours that came over. It took both of us over an hour of working with her, manipulating the baby, and trying to get it in a position so she could deliver. At this point, I was just concerned with the momma goat.

We finally got him out. Thought we were going to lose the momma goat, but she made it through. He was 3 pounds!!! He looked like a baby calf when he was out. Really long legs and a long neck. He was huge!

The other 2 are doing good, and Momma Goat is up and around, now. It was a long and stressful day, but we slept pretty good last night. They are actually inside, in our sunroom off of our bedroom. I got woken up by babies screaming about 3 times. It was the little doeling...she is already a brat! She screams over everything. :p The little buckling is up and running around and trying to play with the kitten. They are really cute together, trying to figure each other out.

I'll post some pics when I'm able to get them uploaded. Having some computer issues right now!

Shelly

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations! If your doe were here, I'd get her started on 10 days of Penicillin to ward off infection since you had to go in to get the buckling positioned. Great save!

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
wow isn't that awesome! We had to go in and help with 2 mispositioned kids last year so I know how frazzled that can be. Great job saving all!!