I just took in a mini horse and need advice.

St0rmyM00n

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We won't be able to get a farrier/trainer/vet out here until next weekend.

I was told never give him grains that he gains weight fast.

He has access to 1 full acre

His name is little bit and he is gelded.

He is old I am currently working on finding out his age.

Yesterday was his first day here we have worked out a plan between the 6 people here to walk him 6 times a day or give him something to do basically.

How much graze time is too much for a mini Horse?

3621_0714085212.jpg

3621_0714085329.jpg

I was told by the lady that had him she gave him apples but she didn't say how often.
He is our first so I want to make sure I do everything right he is a rescue and was in need of a home.

Thank you for any info you can give us!

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey! Seems like your doing great. But why not get him a buddy? Doesn't have to be another mini horse, or an actual horse. It can be a goat or likewise.

I think he should have a buddy... But don't take my advice seriously as I don't own a horse, and never have. I've just heard that horses shouldn't be alone.

Congrats! He's adorable!

St0rmyM00n

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
emmadipstik said:
Hey! Seems like your doing great. But why not get him a buddy? Doesn't have to be another mini horse, or an actual horse. It can be a goat or likewise.

I think he should have a buddy... But don't take my advice seriously as I don't own a horse, and never have. I've just heard that horses shouldn't be alone.

Congrats! He's adorable!
He was at a shelter for a week and didn't get on well with the other horses, mainly cause he has been the only one where he came from I think.

He has chickens and cats back there that sit with him but he also has 5 children that spend a lot of time with him as well :)

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is he so old that he is quidding? Quids are little balls of grass, and you will find them laying around where he has been eating. If he is quidding, he is getting little to no nutrional value from the pasture. You may want to have someone look at his teeth, they can give you a reasonable age estimate, and tell you how well he can chew. This does NOT need to be a vet, a horse dental tech could also tell you this.

Pasture this time of year does not have the high sugar values that early spring pasture has, so you could likely leave him out 24/7, but would really want to keep an eye on him if he is prone to founder.

St0rmyM00n

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
bjjohns said:
Is he so old that he is quidding? Quids are little balls of grass, and you will find them laying around where he has been eating. If he is quidding, he is getting little to no nutrional value from the pasture. You may want to have someone look at his teeth, they can give you a reasonable age estimate, and tell you how well he can chew. This does NOT need to be a vet, a horse dental tech could also tell you this.

Pasture this time of year does not have the high sugar values that early spring pasture has, so you could likely leave him out 24/7, but would really want to keep an eye on him if he is prone to founder.
No Quidding from what I can see I have had him 2 days so far. But I will keep an eye on that.

His teeth look squarish in shape I want to say like they have been leveled off or something, there is some yellowing at the top near the gums.

I assume this could be from the grass?

His poop is green at first and then it turns a darker color after.

The only experience I have with horses is I use to ride them and I only know the basic commands. Since he is a mini of course we won't be riding him.

But I am here to give him shelter, pasture and a lot of love. We do have someone coming to check him over they will tell me what to do, and show me how to
clean his feet and pick them. He doesn't wear shoes but then he won't ever be leaving this land to really need them.

He handles extremely well , let me look at his teeth without nipping at me , lets me pick up his legs and lets me touch him all over.

We did give him an apple yesterday and it made him gassy is that something I should worry about? He was farting a lot or is that just a horse thing lol.