I know nothing about alpacas

EverythingBunnies

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi!
As you can see by the title, I know absolutely nothing about alpacas!
I was hoping y'all could tell be the basics about alpacas so I have something to go off of when u do more research, however i do have a few specific questions.

What temperatures should alpacas stay at? Is north Fl (close to AL and GA) too hot? Would having lots of shade from trees and a shallow pond help any? Would shaving them more often make a difference?

Can they be kept with donkeys and goats? I've heard they are territorial (which at least keeps a lot of predators away from poultry), but would they not accept goats and donkeys? Would I am have to get them as babies and raise them with the other animals?

About how much can you sell alpaca fur (or is it hair) for?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
What temperatures should alpacas stay at? Is north Fl (close to AL and GA) too hot?
IDK, you'd have to see if there's breeders in those states. If so, should be fine.
But they are a more dry, high altitude animal.

Would having lots of shade from trees and a shallow pond help any?

Tree shade will help.
Pond will rot the fleece, or at least, that's what the diehards say.

Would shaving them more often make a difference?

Yes, but they need some to protect from the sun & cold nights.
It'll also reduce the worth of the fleece.

Can they be kept with donkeys and goats?

Best to keep them in their own area. They seem to be a bit frail when mixed with others. They'll also easily get bullied away from food.

I've heard they are territorial (which at least keeps a lot of predators away from poultry), but would they not accept goats and donkeys? Would I am have to get them as babies and raise them with the other animals?

You do not get alpaca/llama as babies, but as 5-8mo that should be very well off weaned before moving.
They'll learn to get along with others, if the others aren't nasty towards them.
I only had one alpaca that was protective. He hated/attacked my little dog & he would attack me whenever I held onto or tried to lead lambs in his field.

Its fiber, fleece, blanket for main body/prime. 2nds is neck & high leg. 3rds is w/e else is left, mostly trash.
Cost is very dependent on quality, length, crimp, hairs, how clean, which body part it came from, color, show animal, so on. Most is worth less than $40 for prime blanket, long, clean, crimpy that most people who have alpacas w/other animals. Most people will either not recoup the cost of shearing and be in the negative or come out slightly above. Cost for alpaca shearing in my area is at least $30 an animal plus travel/setup which seems to start at $75.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi!
As you can see by the title, I know absolutely nothing about alpacas!
I was hoping y'all could tell be the basics about alpacas so I have something to go off of when u do more research, however i do have a few specific questions.

What temperatures should alpacas stay at? Is north Fl (close to AL and GA) too hot? Would having lots of shade from trees and a shallow pond help any? Would shaving them more often make a difference?

Can they be kept with donkeys and goats? I've heard they are territorial (which at least keeps a lot of predators away from poultry), but would they not accept goats and donkeys? Would I am have to get them as babies and raise them with the other animals?

I really don't know about alpacas but I know with llamas it's crucially important they have cool water to essentially lay in when it's real hot. I know someone who keeps fans for them too