I may have a deaf alpaca...

Ownedby3alpacas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What would be the cause of deafness in an alpaca if it's not a BEW? I believe my bay black male may not be able to hear. :/

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Bad case of ear mites that was never taken care of would do it. Some type of head trauma could do it. An ear infection that wasn't taken care of could do it. They aren't normally deaf from birth if they aren't BEW. Of course being older could do it too. How old is your male? Have you checked his ears good? What made you determine that he might be deaf?

Ownedby3alpacas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He's 18 months old. I know a dog with an ear infection or ear mites would shake their head a lot, wouldn't an alpaca do the same thing? I haven't seen him do that...but I'll check his ears.
If he's not facing me or the other alpacas when I call them he doesn't react at all. I have to walk out to him until he sees me out of the corner of his eye or wait until he turns around and hold up the grain scoop and THEN he comes running over.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I would guess that something happened. Maybe he had oxygen deprivation or something at birth. He may or may not do a lot of shaking of the head with mites or infection.

Ownedby3alpacas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I checked his ears this afternoon...I didn't see any sign of mites or an infection.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Do you know if he has any BEW in his background? My guess would be some type of trauma at some time. At least you know and know what to do.