I may Have too many Chickens

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, I have over 20....I'm refusing to count them.

I put 12 eggs in the incubator......"There won't be any more hatches this year"..... just under 3 weeks ago. 10 showed good embryos and one a dubious embryo on day 16.

Last night I turned off off the turner, upped the humidity, and took out the dividers (day 19....a bit late as I had had a day of travel to see a sick relative). I photographed the position of the eggs this morning

IMG_0114.JPG

I've just gone to top up the water and one egg moved whilst another had a 'pip' albeit at the wrong end of the egg! Now, this is only fairly early on day 20, but (as always), I am SO excited.

I thought I'd 'miss all the action' as I am doing a charity walk at the time when most should hatch (if any hatch at all, that is!). OH was really rather pleased as he was looking forward to looking after the hatch with me out of the way. I'm now hopeful to have a few 'early birds'.

I'm just realising what a very boring pic. of an incubator with 11 unhatched eggs makes.....

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Boring indeed! Next time you should post a VIDEO! :lol: Hope you and OH (other half?) get to see at least a couple of "break outs" together. Is there such a thing as "too many chickens" or goats/sheep/cookies/money? ;)

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boring indeed! Next time you should post a VIDEO! :lol:
An hour long video of an incubator whirring and an egg moving a fraction of an inch would be a great way to fall asleep....maybe I should try that BUT I dropped my (uninsured!) new and expensive camera in about the only remaining puddle in a dried up stream and my 3rd hand iPhone has a pretty poor battery having been majorly overused by my two daughters who owned it (and abused it!) before.....but it still takes pics. (That about says it all, doesn't it, the parents getting the discarded phones of their offspring?)

OH (other half?) get to see at least a couple of "break outs" together
I'm the one who is unable to leave when things start happening.....hubster just leaves them to get on with things (This is almost certainly the best thing to do, but I just HAVE to watch, and stress, and nail-bite that they won't get out, and interfere..... :hide)

Is there such a thing as "too many chickens" or goats/sheep/cookies/money? ;)
I think the definition of too many/much is a VERY subjective thing...... I can't really have too many chickens, sheep etc as I refuse to count them:idunno, so when asked "Well how many do you have?" I can genuinely say "I don't know". Is this called 'denial'?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
(That about says it all, doesn't it, the parents getting the discarded phones of their offspring?)

I know my older sister has never had cell phone or cell service of her own.......she's always tagged off her son's service and had hand me down phones.

Last Novemeber, as my youngest (in his 30s) son watched as I laboriously texted on my old 10 key flip phone, I was told "Dad, you really need to upgrade your phone".

me:
"For what? But, Christmas is right around the corner. You can buy me a new one."

I got a Christmas card instead.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
So....9 chicks out (of 11).....I'll upload a pic. after I've recharged my 3rd-hand phone which died half way through trying to take a pic. I don't think the other two are going to hatch, but I'm very happy with the outcome.

2 chicks tried to emerge from the 'pointy end', and, realising that they were never going to emerge, I hatched them bit-by-bit. Both were very weak, one especially so......hardly moved for 24 hours.They went into an ICU tin on the stove by themselves. I syringed in orange juice in tiny amounts every 2 hours and both have made a lot of progress. They are now in with the other chicks......one of them will almost certainly survive and I'm hopeful for the other.

Congrats. on your Silkies, Bay....what colour are they? Pic Please.....

Latest posts