I need help Identifying my chickens breed

Joani

Just born
Reaction score
Can any of you help me identify what breed Rudy Rooster is?? I would appreciate any help - since Rudy is very prolific - most of my hatchlings are now BLACK like him - instead of Wellsummers like I'd hoped. Rudy is still very young - 1st year breeding.
IMG_1063.JPG

2MorrosDream

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Any ideas on tbis guy? I was told he is a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana.
20170503_184933.jpg

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Can any of you help me identify what breed Rudy Rooster is?? I would appreciate any help - since Rudy is very prolific - most of my hatchlings are now BLACK like him - instead of Wellsummers like I'd hoped. Rudy is still very young - 1st year breeding.
View attachment 33684
He looks like a mixed breed to me.

Joani

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you - that's what I was afraid of .. he was given to me as a chick to raise for a young neighbor who needed help & couldn't keep/raise the chick. I was told they had Austrolorps and Black Sexlinks that they purchased from IFA that had then bred and hatched out. I have 42 chickens and really hoped that I could let the Roos earn their keep by hatching Wellsummer eggs. (I purchased 4 Wellsummer pullets and 2 ended up being roosters! I love the 'chocolate' eggs they produce) But unfortunately Rudy is taking control! The hens like him the best and he is actually nicer to have around than our 'green eyed monster' and 'boc patrol' Welsummers) acts like a hen with people, eating out of our hands and also dust baths with the girls! (I was hoping he was an Austrolorp) Thanks again for your help!

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you - that's what I was afraid of .. he was given to me as a chick to raise for a young neighbor who needed help & couldn't keep/raise the chick. I was told they had Austrolorps and Black Sexlinks that they purchased from IFA that had then bred and hatched out. I have 42 chickens and really hoped that I could let the Roos earn their keep by hatching Wellsummer eggs. (I purchased 4 Wellsummer pullets and 2 ended up being roosters! I love the 'chocolate' eggs they produce) But unfortunately Rudy is taking control! The hens like him the best and he is actually nicer to have around than our 'green eyed monster' and 'boc patrol' Welsummers) acts like a hen with people, eating out of our hands and also dust baths with the girls! (I was hoping he was an Austrolorp) Thanks again for your help!
He does look like an Australorp welsummer cross. He is a good looking rooster, and sounds like a nice one.

wynn4578

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Very nice, likely mixes the Dark ones look possibly like a mix between a RIR and Australorp. I had a mix hen for awhile out of a RIR roo and an Australorp hen that feathered out almost identical.

Joani

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you That would be AWESOME if he is a cross between Wellsummer & Australorp or RIR- all good birds! I will have to see how his babies do - I am hoping some of them are hens ...