I need help picking the right breed.

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I posted this in the meat section and someone thought I would get more help here.

I just got done watching Food Inc. I have been planning on raising our own meat for a couple of years, but watching this movie kicked my butt into gear. We raised our own when I was a child. My father-in-law raises Angus cattle so we also get meat off of him. My big problem is all the feed he gives his steers to feed them out.

I have Nubians and Mini Nubian goats for my milk and cheese. I also have my own chickens and ducks for eggs. I am going to raise cornish crosses and some of my ducks for meat.

We have a little under 8 acres where we live. My father-in-law has over 150. So, I could run a steer over on his field across the street. I really want it to be completely grass fed. My question is what breeds do best on all grass diets. I have been looking at Dexters. I know they are small but they are also dual propose breed. I have found some on Ohio that I really want. I was raised with Milking Shorthorts and love the breed but they are really big.

We also raised pigs when I was little. I really would like to get some heritage pigs for our little farm. I was thinking tamworths or herefords. I showed both breeds in the fair.

I would love any input that I can get. I have been trying to find the right breed of cattle for my small farm. I only want a cow or two. I will raise the steers up to eat.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You might want to go read "Reference for Future Use" on the Everything About Cows. I posted on there, hit some of the questions you are asking. Here is a link if you can't find it;

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6300

Each breed has plus and minus features. You have to make up a list of what you MUST have in your cow, then what other things you can "settle" for that may not be advantages.

What we saw in looking, was that cheaper animals are often difficult to deal with as singles. They have not been handled much or at all! Even small cattle weigh more than you, so if they fight, you have to have an alternate plan!! We looked at a number of Dexters, most were darn wild on the less costly end of the shopping. Most were still horned, and not friendly at all to ANYONE, they couldn't catch them so we could look at the calves.

The experienced breeder's thousand dollar, 9mo heifers were NICE. They came up when called from the field, walked right to you for scratches or snacks, lead like the dog, WELL BUILT and cute. And the mother cows, older bull, ALL WERE THE SAME, very NICE in all catagories. Everything was dehorned for safety. Those people put time and effort into making those cattle so terrific, animals really showed the results of their work. Not a spooky animal on the place, and they had over 50 head, friendly to total strangers smelling like horses!

I am sure if your dad raises cattle, you know that happens in ALL breeds. So that is when you have to be picky, use your list to stay on track! I ALMOST got snared into buying one of the short-legged Dexter heifers. Like daughter said "You just want to pick her up and SQUEEZE her! She is so CUTE!!" My list had Long-legged ONLY on it!! So we had to say no to that one. My DOG was taller than she was, would have only gotten a little taller, so way too small.

If you are just doing calves for meat, the Dexters do pretty well. I have heard they have short teats so not as easy to milk for home use. The cross of Dexter-Jersey has been recommended by several, for more milk production, only slightly larger in height than Dexter at 44", with larger udder and longer teats for easier milking by hand. Good Dexter cow will have a high udder, so they stay productive as mothers for a longer use time without problems.

A suggestion for having friendly cows, is to work with them on a daily basis. Start with small calves if possible. Have them come when called, tie well, pick up hooves for rasping now and again. Brush them, rub them all over, they really seem to like it. Any time spent on the young animals will more than pay you back as benefits in easy handling later on.

And with any of the little cows, you have to get a small bull to cover them or one who ONLY produces SMALL calves. The Dexters I saw, calves ran from 35-60 pounds. You don't want to hurt your little cow (600-700 pounds) by using a big bull on her. Jerseys are an OK cross, calves run small and spindly for calving ease.

If you are looking to buy now, I have my Dexter in the For Sale section. Not sure where you are.

Never heard of a Hereford pig, do you mean Hampshire? Hamps used to be quite popular at our Fair. I am not a pig person, only like them from the freezer!

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Goodhors, there is in fact a breed of pig called the Hereford. :)

http://139.78.104.1/breeds/swine/hereford/

As for HSF, there are other breeds like Angus or Hereford that come in miniature-breeds or lowline breeds. But since you are more concerned with finding an animal that is going to be used for your freezer, a couple of steers may be best. But options are open too if you want to have a cow to give birth to a calf that you can use for your freezer.

A list of breeds off the top of my head that I know do great on grass are Red Poll, Black and Red Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn (or Beef Shorthorn to you), White Park, British White, Dexter, Galloway and Belted Galloway, Welsh Blacks, Scottish Highlands, Speckle Park, Devons and South Devons. Naturally what breed you choose to raise depends on your area, what is available in your area, the kind of grass you have (I've heard different grass species can have an affect on how your grass-fed beef tastes), climate, soil type, etc. What breed you choose would also reflect on what kind of beef quality you are expecting.

Simply put, there really is no "best breed." You might have to do some researching on what breed is best and their availability.

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks both of you for the information. I will have to decide what I want to do. I have a pasture empty right now just wanting for a cow or steer.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I concur with WildRoseBeefon the breed list...but also need to second a previous poster. Cattle don't do well by themselves unless they're family milk cows who are worked every single day. Cattle are herd animals, as you know, and get freaky when they're alone. If you get a steer, get two. They'll be less work, less likely to bust fences to "make friends," should be quieter, etc.

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am excited to say my father ,who breeds and show dairy cows just not Jerseys the ones I want because of size and butter fat, is bring me one of his cows for me to milk. He is bring me an aryshire. She is a lot bigger than I want, but I can't complain about a free cow to milk. He is also bring me a milking machine. I couldn't ask for more. I am very excited. This is an older cow that is very sweet. He keeps his milking cows at a dairy so they can milk them since he has two jobs. She should be here within the next week.

CDSMINIS.COM

Just born
Reaction score
Congratulations on the milk cow! If you decide to get a steer or two to raise for beef I highly recommend Dexters. Dexters have the unique ability to finish on grass alone, and maintain a great flavor and very tender texture.

If you have any other questions about Dexters feel free to contact me.

-Dave

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
THanks CDSMINIS.COM. I have heard Dexters make great meat cows. I have thought about getting a few bottle steers and raising them for meat, too. My father-in-law's pigs are growing fast on my extra milk and whey.