I need help with how much to feed my donkey

FarmerBen

Just born
Reaction score
I just got a 5 month old jenny donkey yesterday and I was wanting to know what exactly I should be feeding her and how much per day. She is one of the full size donkeys and not a mini. I have no donkey experience and any help is greatly appreciated. Weight wise she looks to be in the ideal range but once again that is coming from someone who doesn't really know. I'm just worried that I will founder her or something.

One of the guys at our local TSC told us to get a type of food for growth, I think the brand is molene, and some sweet feed.

Thanks

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of the people that I know that have donkeys (both miniature and standard) say to feed them hay, no grain and especially no sweet feed. Donkeys have very efficient digestive systems, they almost get fat on air! Donkeys that are overfed develop pads of fat on their butts and necks that are almost impossible to get rid of, it's much better to keep them at a good weight to begin with. I don't have a donkey myself, but I do have a miniature mule, and all of the above applies to her x3!

BrayJunction

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bunnylady is right, donkeys need hay and a salt/mineral block and that's about it. Mine each get a flake of grassy hay twice a day. I do give them a tiny handful of oats also, but my donkeys came to me FAT and used to eating that. I should wean them off the grain but have gone soft--they look at me like they're going to die when I withhold the grain. If you look for my post from June when my donkeys first came, you'll see photos of their neck and belly pones of fat. I'm stuck with those forever, so word to the wise, keep your donkey on Weight Watchers! Definitely avoid the sweet feed.

Latest posts