I need Info on Goats

meggan Byers

Just born
Reaction score
I want a goat. My fiance said if he got a motorcycle I could have a goat but I don't know much about them. Anything I should know?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats are a herd animal, you should get two (tell him he can't have two motorcycles, though).

There's lots to know - fencing, food, vaccinations, deworming, and more. How much land do you have? Do you have any fencing or shelter? How about hay and feed storage? Can you have farm animals where you are? Anyone with goats nearby you can visit? Any vets in your area that are good with goats?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Oh my... just the whole premise that you can have "something" if he can have "something" sets a wrong cord with me... :duc:hide Not the answer to your main question, so lets get to that. There's a wealth of information, knowledge and experience shared here in the goat forum in the various threads. The DATE of the thread doesn't matter much, what matters is the topic and info conveyed. I'd wager to guess that this is the best goat forum on the internet. We have great goat folks here who try to help.

I strongly suggest you do some research BEFORE you get your goat(s) <--- yes plural... they are herd animals and as Norse stated, you really need to start them in pairs. What do you wish for your goats to do? are they for meat? milk? landscaping/brush removal? pets? Do you want small goats or big goats, or somewhere in between? It's a living animal so you really need to think/study it through before you just go "buy a goat".

They are livestock, they are not a pet (even if YOU consider them pets), and your property may not be zoned appropriately to have/own livestock. Best to check before you invest in buying them. If you live in a home that is in an HOA, I can almost assure you it will not be allowed. If you get past all that and it's a "go" then the first 2 things you need are housing and fencing. The fencing is your first line of defense against the number one killer of goats; dogs, yours, the neighbors or strays. The housing must be sufficient to provide them shelter from falling moisture (rain/snow/hail) as goats believe they will melt if they get wet. You'll need to be able to provide feed and water for them, and probably more important, you'll need somewhere to dispose of their manure! It doesn't smell that bad, but it does smell, and it does build up much quicker than most expect.

As you have questions, ask for answers. Many basic questions will be answered just by reading here. So, browse around and make yourself at home!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Anything I should know?
:lol::lol::gig:gig:gig:lol::lol::lol: Just read every single thread on this forum and you might be okay... :lol::lol:
I researched a lot before getting goats. And kept researching and kept researching. Then a goat would get sick or die and back to researching. It was always something new. ALWAYS! Because, after you have gone through something once, you know how to handle/prevent it. The "new" things drove me nuts and drove me back to school in the hopes of learning about all the things I hadn't yet experienced. Check out some of my emergency threads... Actually, that is a great place to learn about some of the more common things you might encounter with goats. I mean that plural because @norseofcourse is correct, you can't have just one, it would be miserable.

Oh my... just the whole premise that you can have "something" if he can have "something" sets a wrong cord with me... :duc:hide
;)My DH and I have done something similar. He wanted a new car. I think new cars are a waste of money since he wouldn't keep it long enough for it to be worth it. Then he came and told me about a great deal on a Hyabusa (sp?). I asked if he would delay buying a car for 5 years if he got the motorcycle. Done deal and we were both happy! I think it depends on the relationship. He then turned around and traded the bike for a 4-wheeler for me after we bought our property (3 years later) because I can't walk all the way to the barn and the van won't make it there.

@Latestarter is right. Start with figuring out what you want out of the goat. Milk, meat, etc... This will narrow down breeds. Do you want to breed? Will you sell the babies? This will let you know if you want to go with registered or not, registered are easier to sell BUT you also need to do health testing etc... There is a lot to consider here. If you just want companions find some wethers. They are generally very sweet and loving and cheap.

So, now you know your breed and are deciding if you want registered or not, does (means bucks as well) or wethers. Shed and fencing are critical. Like LS said, stray dogs and even your dogs need to be kept away from the goats. Fencing, fencing, fencing... Read some of the journals in the social section and you will see a lot of people still building more fencing! The shed is easier.

There is so much to consider. Let us know first what you want them for and what breeds you are considering as well as your housing (for the goats) situation. This will help us help you. You will really love goats! They are wonderful and fun and annoying as all get out... ;) Be sure to build the fence big enough to handle about 20. You will probably end up there!

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome! :):)

What they all said ^^^^^
Do research prior to buying just a goat "because it's cute". There is so much more involved. And you will learn something new EVERY SINGLE DAY with them. I think I've said once a month since getting into goats - whoever said they were easy - LIED :lol::lol:

And goat math is like chicken math...you say I'll stop at 5, next think you know you have 10 and 2 due in 3 months! :p So make sure you have space.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing where this journey takes you :)