I Need Saddle Help

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The rabbit lady has a horse question!

I have ridden my whole life so I am ashamed to admit how very little I know about saddles. I had used the same two saddles from the time I was thirteen up until I lost them in a fire a couple of years back. Neither of them had names as both had been made by a friend of my granddad's.

Fast forward to the last three months. I have been training a little gray QH gelding for my sister-in-law, and a little quarter pony for my neice. I was using one of my sister-in-law's saddles, but it is horridly uncomfortable and my legs feel like they are in the wrong place. I tried one of my brother's saddles, same thing plus it was too big.

It looks like I am going to have to buy a new saddle... but I have no idea what kind/style. Here is what I can tell you about the ones I had. They were both 14 inch seat. One had a wood tree, the other was rawhide. They were both double rigged. They were not anykind of specialized saddle, they were general purpose ranch saddles.

The saddles I have been using feel wrong. My legs feel forced forward and it makes me feel unbalanced/insecure in the seat and it's uncomfortable on my knees. My old saddles my legs were more under me, closer to where they naturally are when I ride bareback, making me feel much more centered in the seat. What is this difference in stirrup placement called and what type of saddle do I need to be looking for?

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
this is a good question. The saddle has to be comfortable for the horse too. There are as many types of saddles as there "events" or types of riding. Barrel racing, cutting, show, roping and so on. But the first one that comes to my mind is an endurance saddle, for endurance competition rides.

I suggest that you sit in the saddle on a saddle stand, if possible. I have several saddles, the best one was a garage sale find for $75. It was missing a fender and tapadero. A friend worked at the prison and took it there for repair. For $400 it was totally reworked, strirrups in place of the tapadero, repaired, new sheepskin underneath, buckstitched in white leather (it was a black tooled saddle) and it came back to us months later absolutely gorgeous. I know that doesn't help you, but don't discount used saddles that are out there.

If you buy a used saddle, look for a good deal on one, if it doesn't "fit" put it back up for sale for $25-$50 more than you paid for it, then you can come down, if needed. Look on Craigslist, I see saddles on there all the time.

The worst saddle I have is a Wintec synthetic everything, washable, piece of agony. Even the horses hate it. My old gelding Joe, (that's his eye in my avatar) despises it and lays his ears back when I chinch it up. I guess you know I never use it......really ought to put it on Craigslist.....:lol:

@secuono just built her own saddle. That girl amazes me.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want a western try a trail/all purpose saddle or endurance. Sounds like you may have acesss to cutting or roping saddles. Personally I like Tuckers, I think the one we have may be more of a trail type. Leg placement felt good to me. I rode 4 years of equitation competitions in college.
Tuckers are big and heavy though... and new are $$$. Ours is abut 20 years old.
My absolute favorite is my new black forest treelesss. It's more of an English type endurance saddle. But no knee or back soreness on long trail rides and I feel secure.
Lots of higher end saddle and tack shops do have ways to do trials before you buy... kind of depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. Plus don't forget that it needs to fit your horses too. One reason I like the treeless is they can fit different horse types. They do need a good pad. NCM_4592.JPG NCM_4311.JPG
The tucker didn't fit my haflinger very well. But he tolerated it. As I have gotten older a cheap $200 saddle is torture for me... the tucker I estimate to be worth 700-800 (it's in well used, fair condition ) the black forest I paid $575 shipped, complete with pad, 2 girths, it was used also.

Amelie the Bee Keeper

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a few ideas that are the reasons why you don't feel good in these saddles and why one is too big. I am so sorry that I have to ask so much of you but it will help me and maybe even the others so we know how to help.
If possible could I see the saddles on the horses as I have an idea what might be the problem. All I need for those pictures is a side, a back, and front view of the saddle on the horse with the usual saddle pads on (I would prefer that no one is on the horse). And then I would like to see you on the saddle side view, please. If I could see you bareback so I can see how your legs are positioned, then I can determine what type of saddle you need. What would you prefer an English saddle or a Western saddle? Again I am so sorry that I must ask so much of you but I am trying to understand what you are wanting to change in the saddle.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a few ideas that are the reasons why you don't feel good in these saddles and why one is too big. I am so sorry that I have to ask so much of you but it will help me and maybe even the others so we know how to help.
If possible could I see the saddles on the horses as I have an idea what might be the problem. All I need for those pictures is a side, a back, and front view of the saddle on the horse with the usual saddle pads on (I would prefer that no one is on the horse). And then I would like to see you on the saddle side view, please. If I could see you bareback so I can see how your legs are positioned, then I can determine what type of saddle you need. What would you prefer an English saddle or a Western saddle? Again I am so sorry that I must ask so much of you but I am trying to understand what you are wanting to change in the saddle.
I don't have any pictures on my phone. The horses and saddles are at my Brother's house and I won't get back to take pictures of the ones I'm using until Thursday.

I definitely want a western saddle. The ones that I used to have were used for everything... I used them for general cattle farm work - cutting, roping, lots of long rough miles checking fences and looking for cows and calves. The rawhide tree one was mostly used for colt starting. I used to buy cheap horses at the salebarn when the price of hay got high, bring them home and train them, then resell them. I had saddles that were built the fit the type of quarter horses I prefer, and adjusted with padding when needed. I couldn't afford to buy a new saddle for every horse that passed through my hands. If I ever find a horse that I plan to keep forever I'll get a custom fitted saddle. Until then I just need a well made comfortable saddle that's good for about anything, what my granddad would have called "a good usin' saddle", with full quarter horse bars.

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go to a tack store, several of them actually, and have them place saddles on a tall saddle stand. Tall so that your feet don't rest on the ground. Sit in them as naturally as you can, wiggle, stretch, move as if it were on a horse. Try different seat sizes and styles of saddle. Some styles you may find you need a larger or smaller seat. Make sure the saddle is level on the stand, if its not, it will change your position and feel of it. Heck, not having the horse under the saddle will also change the feel and even leg position. Wide ribs will push out your legs, you won't know if that will be out in front or out to the sides until you get the saddle on the horse, though.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I figured it out! I went out riding with one of my cousins yesterday and imediatly noticed that his saddle looked familiar. Come to find out, granddad had saddle commissioned for him too, and my cousin still had his and knew the name of the style!

I now now know I need to be looking for a 14 inch Wade.

Last edited:

Latest posts