I never thought I'd consider a milking machine.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brain fart! Brilliant! I hope it works for you! You may want to consider a milking machine anyway, because of the arthritis. This will buy you time and maybe you can find a good deal on a used one.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brain fart! Brilliant! I hope it works for you! You may want to consider a milking machine anyway, because of the arthritis. This will buy you time and maybe you can find a good deal on a used one.
.... yeah.. 😞.. back to the original post.
There is no way I can imagine having $500 - $1000 that isn't already earmarked many many months in advance.

I'll put it on my Christmas list 🎅

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's some improvement - and some increased sensitivity in the back quarters... probably because it's taking me SOOO LONG to finish them.
Today I separated them for about 4hrs & then guided the calf to only nurse the back quarters. Hoping that will help too.
I finished with them about 6 & will be back out around 4.
Is 10hrs too long for a 5day old calf?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan says you're near me....???? I'm Suffolk area. You?

Don't know about length of time on nursing but guiding to hind quarters is good. 🙂. I sometimes have kids who only want one side and I have to divert.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to figure 12 hours between nursings/bottles. That's standard for most dairies so no, not too long. The calf will be good and hungry and should be able to work on the back quarters with enthusiasm.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great!!! Nature is best.😁. Appears you and the calf have solved your problem.

I asked your area because I would have let you borrow the milking unit to try and see if it helped you. It is battery powered, rechargeable. Plus, I have a hand pump unit -- Henry milker -- that would help for relief. No pulsator or electric but, does require some squeezing by hand, no noise. I've found it very helpful for a training animal as the hose allows for some distance and movement by the goat.

The unit I have is similar to one you referenced and excellent price. I find I can connect to smaller containers for isolating milk from each animal. I do that to be able to check taste and butterfat from the different does. Its a personal thing for me.😁

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I think I've talked myself out of buying it....
I've gotten almost equal opinions 'Sure, it's not premium, but it's better than not getting her milked out' & 'Don't do it!! It'll ruin her udder!'...

I remind myself multiple times a day that yesterday was ONLY a week into this. We're (all 3 of us) JUST starting to settle into a routine.
I'm my own worst critic - constantly tripping myself up with self doubt.
But, in the long run, that $150-$160 or so would probably be better spent improving fencing or something.