I Screwed Up!

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Some people do give it orally for worm treatment.
The clinical medicine book I have for rabbits gives SC routes for Ivomec injectable, even for a worming....so I stick to that.

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
trestlecreek said:
The clinical medicine book I have for rabbits gives SC routes for Ivomec injectable, even for a worming....so I stick to that.
Yes, it is an option. I just feel it is better for the rabbit to take it orally as they don't seem to mind the taste but you do not want to accidentally inject Ivomectin into the blood stream or muscle, it burns like crazy!
The oral route is safer for those not confident giving a SubQ injection to a rabbit or a tough to inject bun and the dosing is as follows:

Ivomec Paste: 1 RICE SIZED squirt per 4 pounds of rabbit orally.

Ivomec Injectible 1%: ONE DROP per pound orally.

Ivomec Injectible .27%: 1/2 CC per 10 POUNDS or
TWO DROPS per pound.

With any of them, it's repeat treatment once per week for a total of 3 doses. For prevention treat every three months. Do Not dose pregnant does. Safe for kits 6 weeks and up.
Draw more than you need into a syringe (drawing up just 1 or drops is impossible), then take off the needle and administer to the rabbit. May be a two person job.
To make it easier some breeders put the needed doses into their rabbits show or breeding supplements and let them eat it on their own. MUCH EASIER.

missy_cbell21

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
JoieDeViveRabbitry said:
trestlecreek said:
Yes, it is an option. I just feel it is better for the rabbit to take it orally as they don't seem to mind the taste but you do not want to accidentally inject Ivomectin into the blood stream or muscle, it burns like crazy!
The oral route is safer for those not confident giving a SubQ injection to a rabbit or a tough to inject bun and the dosing is as follows:

Ivomec Paste: 1 RICE SIZED squirt per 4 pounds of rabbit orally.

Ivomec Injectible 1%: ONE DROP per pound orally.

Ivomec Injectible .27%: 1/2 CC per 10 POUNDS or
TWO DROPS per pound.

With any of them, it's repeat treatment once per week for a total of 3 doses. For prevention treat every three months. Do Not dose pregnant does. Safe for kits 6 weeks and up.
Draw more than you need into a syringe (drawing up just 1 or drops is impossible), then take off the needle and administer to the rabbit. May be a two person job.
To make it easier some breeders put the needed doses into their rabbits show or breeding supplements and let them eat it on their own. MUCH EASIER.
I have a doe who was bread just a few days ago, is it okay to dose her or no. I know she has earmites and it looks nasty. Can I give it to does with kits on her? Also is it safe to butcher/eat those that have been given the paste? How long after? Thanks!