I so want bees, but I'm most likely allergic

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a tough time with insect bites and stings. I would love to have bees because I make mead now! But alas, I suspect I am stuck on the sidelines watching all of you. :caf :( :hit Still, I am soooooo tempted.:smack

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have to drag an epipen with me everywhere I go in case I eat something cross contaminated with fish. Uncooked egg whites do me the same way. I haven't gone systemic from bee stings yet, but I do swell up like a toad. Doc says my immune system is like a simmering pot of water just waiting to boil over. She prescribed me a 'cocktail' of three drugs that I take to tamp down the reaction.

I got me a full body suit from Golden Bee, Suzie in LA hand makes them right here in the good ol' USA. I figured if they are good enough for AHB, they are good enough for me!
So far, my interactions with my Italians in my topbar hives have been amazing. Not at all what I imagined. But then I haven't dropped a comb full of bees or experienced a dearth yet, either!

If you can set them up far enough away where your interactions with them are on your terms, I'd say go for it. They really are amazing.

disclamer - consult with your doctor before listening to anything Maggiesdad says...

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A tough situation to be in. I have yet to be stung opening the hive, in my bee suit, but the possibility is always there. I have been stung when one flew into my hair and got stuck. You hear that ticked off bee in your hair and you just know you're getting stung.

Maybe if you have someone that could handle the care of the hive, and you could help with extraction?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only have a bee suit jacket with a veil and I have been stung countless times. I am actually more surprised if I DON'T get stung. Most of the times it is through my jeans so the stinger gets left in the cloth and I don't get much venom. Last year I had a particularly nasty hive and they got inside my jacket. I was running across the property shedding my clothing as I went. I am sure it was a hilarious site to behold.

I really think that bees can sense my nervousness a little so I am buying a complete suit this year. I hate bees in my underware :)

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was running across the property shedding my clothing as I went. I am sure it was a hilarious site to behold.

I really think that bees can sense my nervousness a little so I am buying a complete suit this year. I hate bees in my underware :)

That was me running like a crazy woman with a bee stuck in my hair. Why do we think we can out run them? o_O

I have a jacket and veil, and I wear painters pants. They are white and loose fitting, so if one were to sting, I wouldn't feel it. I do tuck my pants into my socks, because I am afraid of one landing on my leg and crawling up. On my hands, I wear those rubber dishgloves. I feel protected (even though I'm probably not) and it makes me less nervous, while still being able to feel what I'm doing.

My hive is pretty mellow though, so it's what works for me. Everyone has to learn the temperament of their own hive. I've actually never smoked mine. I've had it ready, but haven't had to use it. (though one time I should have, they were getting pretty testy)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The socks tucked into the pants is something I learned the hard way...yes, they can and do crawl up the pant leg, and sting when they get smooshed. Not pleasant for sure. I have had them get under the band at the bottom of the jacket, maybe I should tuck it in my jeans, wonder if that would be better or worse? I wear the beekeeping gloves.

I worked a hive this weekend that was dream. Not one nasty bee in the bunch, they were a pleasure. The hive that is so nasty is not at my home and I haven't even gone back to see if it made it through the winter. Yes...the bees won that round. Terrible to be that way but I honestly don't want to work them, I know I need to requeen them if they are alive, but that means going deep into them for an extended period and I just don't want to do it. I suppose I should at least go and look, maybe with some binoculars. :hide

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
oh you guys, i'm so jealous. first, i am highly allergic to bee stings, not just you every day run of the mill "ouch, that hurts and i'm gonna swell up a little". nope mine is the "i'm gonna swell a lot and stop breathing" kind of allergic. just the sound of a bee buzzing close to me sets every hair on my head to standing up. i'm terrified and the bees, wasp and all their kin know it. on the other hand i love honey and use it instead of sugar for most things so i would give my eye teeth to be able to keep bees. i have 4 sisters and I've tried to talk each and every one of them into keeping bees but have no takers. i even offered to buy a hive and bees for the youngest but nope. so enjoy and think of that poor allergic old woman when you take the honey off. and yes i carry an epi pen with me most of the time.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:yuckyuck <--- Edited that was for babs' post but I don't type fast enough...

It sure is a pleasure to work a nice hive, isn't it? :celebrate I mean I don't have mine till this weekend, and have only worked 4 separate hive colonies in my life, but they were GREAT! :weee I got stung once on the inner arm, but think it's because I raised my arm to inspect a frame close up and squished her in there :hit I didn't mean to!! I worked the hives with normal street clothes, no gloves, and just a pull over veil. This weekend when I do my installs, I'm considering not even wearing the veil.

I'm not afraid of the bees and am totally fascinated by them! Stings don't bother me though and I'm not allergic. I know that makes a huge difference. It's just so neat when one lands on your hands and starts licking you for the minerals/salts. Too cool!

@SkyWarrior I'd say get an epipen and a full suit and GO FOR IT! Maybe you can contact a local beekeep and see if they have a suit they can lend so you can experiment? Just go along and watch as they work a hive. They'll know if it's a friendly hive or an obnoxious one.:thumbsup

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LOL - don't forget who you're working with Latestarter... these are GIRLS, and just because they were friendly yesterday doesn't mean they're gonna be friendly tomorrow!:old:hide

And the boys are loud, harmless, love to party a lot at the DCA, and will beg for food... I know I know :smack

:frow