I so want bees, but I'm most likely allergic

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no idea why my one hive turned on me; I didn't stick around long enough on that last visit to try and sort it out. My first guess is that they were queenless, that will make them very touchy but I have been told there are still bees in the hive so that doesn't seem likely unless they were raising a new one and she just hadn't emerged at that time. IDK. I would say Africanized, but there aren't supposed to be any this far north but with our drought and warm winters who knows how far they will travel.

The people who live on the land where the bees are have not complained about them harassing them so I guess it is just me they don't like or they don't like their hive messed with. Either way I need to put on my big girl panties and my chainmail and go for a visit. I should take my DH with me, maybe he will sing and talk sweet to them. He claims it would work, although he is not the beekeeper. :)

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So many reasons they could have been testy last year... drought/dearth could have figured in, too. With any luck they will be sweet and docile this spring.

I really enjoyed this read and especially liked the photo of the beeks with their ankles wrapped... all his hives have AHB. :ep

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have no idea why my one hive turned on me; I didn't stick around long enough on that last visit to try and sort it out. My first guess is that they were queenless, that will make them very touchy but I have been told there are still bees in the hive so that doesn't seem likely unless they were raising a new one and she just hadn't emerged at that time. IDK. I would say Africanized, but there aren't supposed to be any this far north but with our drought and warm winters who knows how far they will travel.

The people who live on the land where the bees are have not complained about them harassing them so I guess it is just me they don't like or they don't like their hive messed with. Either way I need to put on my big girl panties and my chainmail and go for a visit. I should take my DH with me, maybe he will sing and talk sweet to them. He claims it would work, although he is not the beekeeper. :)

Mean hives are supposed to be the best honey producers. They don't even calm down with smoke?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Smoke had no affect at all and their honey super was empty. Of all my hives last year they were in the best area for forage and there appeared to be lots of bees and they did not appear to be on the edge of collapse. Now I am a little curious as to their state....

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
yeah, what ^^ he said ;) We want video! LOL

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I'm still playing with the idea. I think the important thing is to get a full beekeeper's outfit and then figure out how to keep the critters safe from wasps. I think a small apiary would work well here.