I think I am going to have a big girl on my hands...

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In Halo, my coming 6 month old pup..

she has lost that chubby puppy look she had and is leaning out and growing..she is as tall, if not taller, then my BC's...I havent weighed her, but I bet she's pushing 55 pounds..I think I am going to have a big dog on my hands..

spinandslide-albums-spring2012-picture115951-pic5.jpg

spinandslide-albums-spring2012-picture115955-pic9.JPG

spinandslide-albums-spring2012-picture115954-pic8.jpg

while Angel, my older pyr likes to take a vantage point alittle ways out from the flock, Halo is WITH them
spinandslide-albums-spring2012-picture115956-pic10.JPG

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
For giant breeds, you can double their 6 month weight as an estimated adult weight. She's gonna be a big girl!

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yikes! LOL..guess I need to get an official weight..

Angel is no small fry..but Halo I think is going to be bigger..

She is also, Ive noticed, taking on a more "guarding" role with the sheep..we had some initial confusion during her interaction with young lambs..so we will wait til she's older for that..but with the adult sheep and older lambs, she is very protective. She accompanies Angel on "rounds" and I can hear them both sometimes in the evening barking at the howling coyotes.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She is going to be a big girl! Your dogs are both very nice looking. Good to hear that she is taking her role seriously at a young age as well. :D

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you! They are such wonderful animals..with great personalities very unique to each one..Halo still displays some puppy exhuberence now and then..and Angel is the ever patient saint, putting up with it. ;)

Although I did spy them playing together..as in Angel partaking in play once..I dont think Angel saw me watching, because when she looked up and saw me, she got a "deer in the headlight" look..she is constantly trying to convince me how awful it is with Halo out there with her..;)

Mzyla

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Looks like she is going to be pretty handsome dog!
Yes, at 6 months they look neither grown up, neither puppies....my was pretty ugly at 6 months.
Now when he is 14 months old, it became a Polar Bear (some people not familiar with GP were asking me, what is that Polar Bear?):gig

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They're both beautiful dogs. I wish I had had an older dog to start a pup out with, I think they do help to train the younger ones. My two also usually will be one in with the flock and the other on a rise somewhere. Weird how they just do that. I'm getting a kick out of them right now with the shedding. They don't look like the same dogs that they were this past winter. Looks like they've both lost a ton of weight, lol :) .

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Halo has white patches on her..she may shed out white versus the apricot color she is now..:) my pasture has dog and sheep hair all over the place. :)

She got to experience watching her first sheep work..by my border collie..while Angel laid down in the catch pen and chewed on her bone..Halo was TERRIABLY upset..bark bark, yip yip..she finally calmed down, but was very stressed..I swear she thinks she is a sheep..

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
TexasShepherdess said:
Halo has white patches on her..she may shed out white versus the apricot color she is now..:) my pasture has dog and sheep hair all over the place. :)

She got to experience watching her first sheep work..by my border collie..while Angel laid down in the catch pen and chewed on her bone..Halo was TERRIABLY upset..bark bark, yip yip..she finally calmed down, but was very stressed..I swear she thinks she is a sheep..
I suppose that would be a bit confussing and stressful for a LGD to watch a herding dog do its work. Making noise, directing the sheep,etc. What a great set up to have two different dogs doing two different jobs and each respecting the other in their roles. :clap