I think I've ended up with a bottle baby!!

sred98

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, I bought these 2 does about 2-3 weeks ago. Was told they were both pregnant and due the end of November. The one that didn't look as pregnant, had 2 babies yesterday. She had them in a puddle of water! Rather than in the barn, where she had been staying. I lost the big male. The runty female, is doing well, but the mom won't let her nurse. She is weak, and I was able to wrangle the mom (she's not overly friendly) and milk her. Other than the feeding, she is constantly licking the baby, making it stand up, and acting like a mother. I left the baby out in the barn with her last night, but brought her in twice before 10 pm to feed. She was weak in the morning, and I stayed out in the barn over an hour trying to see if the mom was letting her nurse. Nothing. I milked her again, and think I'm going to just bring the baby in to feed, and let it stay in the barn at night.

Is this what I am supposed to be doing? Should I just bring it in? Supposedly the mom has kidded before, but why won't she feed it?

Thanks! This is my first time with goats, much less babies! Oh, my Boston Terrier has really bonded with the baby goat. More than her own puppies she had! Do you have to stimulate baby goats to go to the bathroom after eating like dogs and cats? Ruby's got that under control, but I didn't know if it was necessary. ;)

Thanks!

Shelly

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Bringing the baby in is easier on you, but it is better to leave the baby with the mother and go out every 2 hours and bottle feed. I give the babies here and enema when they are 24 hours old, and that is it, no stimulation needed.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I'd definitely keep the baby with its mom. Tie up the doe so she'll stand and physically put the kid's mouth around the teat. Do this until she learns to suckle, and eventually the doe should come around.

And you don't have to stimulate kids to potty.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I would give the kid some BoSe, and do your best to get the dam to accept nursing. Is her udder too full? Milk her down a bit...but do go out every couple of hrs and try (unless you just WANT a bottle kid).