I think my Ewe is in labor! Autumn didnt make it..nor the babies. :(

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, one of the rescues....Pearl...I think is in labor. She went down in the pasture this afternoon....couldnt get up. I called the vet..he did a vag exam..said she is not dialated. Might be toxemia...might be early labor. He was NO HELP!
I have a pic...tell me...labor!?? I think..YES!
She is on her tummy....looks like leg spasms...panting..grunting...
Can you tell I am new to this!?? LOL :barnie
22_pearlinl.jpg

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The ONLY thing he left for me to give her was the glucose. I am going to call him in the morning, and ask about the vitamin B shot. I was reading on that earlier. She is laying on her tummy....and I just came in from checking on her....she has a white gooey stuff slightly draining from her.....area. :rolleyes: She just looks so tired..and weak. I fear the worst. :(

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You NEED to get someone, vet or farmer, who is experienced with sheep, to look at her.

First thing that needs to be determined, is whether she is lambing, or whether she is down with preg tox.

Its not that difficult. Either she is weak and cant get up. Or she is straining and trying to lamb.

If she isnt lambing, just gone down with preg tox, you need to get a ketosis mixture into her. ANd lots of it. They are usually an oral solution. A milk fever injection for cows will also not go astray. SHe needs feed and water brought to her, and if at all possible she needs to be made to get up and walk around, every hour or so. If she doesnt get up, this needs to continue until she lambs, usually they will get a whole lot better shortly after lambing. But, if she doesnt respond to treatment, and she gets worse before she lambs, it may be necessary to induce her, even if it is too early for the lamb to survive, in order to save the ewe.

If she is in fact lambing, she needs to have an internal exam to determine if the cervix is open (the cervix is what is important, not the vagina). If not, she needs to be monitored for a little longer, and if she doesnt dilate vet intervention is neccessary. If she doesnt dilate she may need a caesarian. If the cervix is indeed open, the position of the lamb/s needs to be checked. She may have trouble because the lambs are not positioned correctly, and they will need to be manipulated until they can come out. Alternatively, she may just be too weak to push them out, so they may need to be pulled. Certain mineral deficiencies will also cause the ewe not to have strong enough contractions to birth a lamb.

Anyway, the main thing is, get someone EXPERIENCED to look at this ewe NOW. I cant tell you yay or nay from that picture. You need to determine what is going on with this ewe ASAP and treat accordingly.

Good luck and keep us informed.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You need to get her out of the pasture and into a well-bedded barn. Lying outside on the cold ground will weaken any living thing. Then, you need to figure out a way to get her up and walking. She needs to be in an upright position to keep her digestive system working properly. Give her some very high energy feed (preferably corn). This sounds like pregnancy toxemia/disease to me. If so, it can quickly become fatal.

Indiana should have multiple vets that are experienced in large animals. Find one, and if necessary, take the ewe to one of them. Sheep aren't so big that one couldn't be hauled in a van or SUV if that's all that's available. I wouldn't put her in the back of an open pickup and haul her around in the cold.

For right now, I'd make sure that she's on her feet and eating well. Tomorrow is the time for the vet intervention. Do a google search if necessary and find a qualified vet. Good luck with her!

FYI: Pregnancy disease can strike up to 2 - 3 weeks prior to lambing in ewes that are carrying multiple lambs.

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I just talked to my vet. He is on his way out. He is going to check her to see if she is dialated...and if not, he will do a terminal C section. At this point, I dont think we can save the Ewe. She is still down, I cant get her on her feet...she wont drink or eat...and her ears are cold. She wont raise her head...and barely opens her eyes. I am so sad...but, I have to try to at least save the lamb/s

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, when the vet got here, Pearl was barely breathing...almost comotose. So he did the C section...delivered 2 beautifull black and white lambs.
The all black one is a male, the spotted one is a female. My son and I worked on them for several minutes. Sadly...they just wouldnt take a breath. We lost them all. Mom and babies. :hit
What a sad day here on our farm.
22_lambs.jpg

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to here that. Those lambs were beautiful. So sorry they didn't make it. :hugs :(

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
many hugs

sorry it ended this way

I'm curious, what was the verdict? Was the ewe actually lambing when she went down, or did she just go down with preg tox?

I've done a LOT of sacrificial caesars ... and sad to say, in 99% of cases if the ewe hasnt actually started labour, no matter how hard you work on the lambs/kids you cant get them started. If the ewe has started labour, then the young can normally be saved. But is she hasnt started, well their hearts beat, and they might even cry and take a breath or two, but you just cant get them going or keep them going. Its utterly heartbreaking. The last one I did was a doe with triplets, all of which I worked on for half an hour, their hearts beating, taking a gasp every now and then, and occassionally crying, but they all gave up in the end.

I really feel for you. its a powerful and heartbreaking thing to go through

hugs