I think my Ewe is in labor! Autumn didnt make it..nor the babies. :(

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh Brody, I am so sorry for your neighbor. I DO know what they are going through.

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I went out this morning, and Autumn was takeing her last few breaths. I tried to go inside and retrieve the babies. I could not get past the cervix. It was almost like it was sewn shut! I pushed around on her tummy...the babies were not moveing. They didnt make it either. I dont know how many are in there, I just cant bring myself to cut her open and see...no need too. This is not a good day either.
I am now wondering if I even should try to raise sheep. This is so hard...and Maybe I am not cut out to raise them? Maybe I will sell my Shetlands...and go a different rout...maybe dexter cattle? I dont know...my head is spinning...and I cant think straight right now.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss on Autumn. Raising livestock is hard and there can be a lot of heartache involved. :hugs

Congratulations on your granddaughter!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Well, I went out this morning, and Autumn was takeing her last few breaths. I tried to go inside and retrieve the babies. I could not get past the cervix. It was almost like it was sewn shut! I pushed around on her tummy...the babies were not moveing. They didnt make it either. I dont know how many are in there, I just cant bring myself to cut her open and see...no need too. This is not a good day either.
I am now wondering if I even should try to raise sheep. This is so hard...and Maybe I am not cut out to raise them? Maybe I will sell my Shetlands...and go a different rout...maybe dexter cattle? I dont know...my head is spinning...and I cant think straight right now.
I'm so sorry! :( You just can't catch a break. Don't let this deter you from raising sheep. Just find someone in your area that you can go to for questions, a possible breeder or something? And when you're starting out with healthy sheep and not rescuing, it's much easier. Just use this time to read read read and everything will be much better next time!

:hugs:hugs:hugs

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
:hugs

Yes, please remember that you rescued these girls, and the damage was already done. Just know that you gave them a few weeks of a very good life, well-fed, warm, and well-loved, something they wouldn't have had if you hadn't rescued them. The best we can do is give them that and hope it is enough after a life of neglect. It often is not.

I lost a gorgeous buckling last year from a rescued doe, and I am grateful the doe made it, but it was touch and go. So I do have an inkling of what you are going through. And the guilt and panic. It will fade, but not go away. WhatifWhatifWhatif..... But the bottom line is, someone else is responsible for harming your ewes and my doe, and we gave them peace and rest and happiness for a time. :hugs

It is ok to get more sheep. It will be healing for you to have healthy ewes and healthy lambs. It is also ok to go into a different direction. It is ok to grieve and cry over your ewes and lambs, too. :hugs Even the ones you never got to see.

no nonsense

Corralled
Reaction score
I would say, don't forget about breeding sheep, just forget about working with rescues. There's enough difficulty in breeding normal, healthy stock. Why ask for more trouble, expense and heartache by brining in animals which already have probems? You'll have enough of your own, and it's not only with sheep. You'll have ups and downs no matter what you decide to breed, cattle, dogs, goldfish. Mostly, with healthy animals, the benefits outweigh the detriments. With rescues, it seems the other way around.