I think my Ewe is in labor! Autumn didnt make it..nor the babies. :(

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My experience is with alpacas so I'm not sure this would be true in sheep but if that were an alpaca, more than likely they have a uterine torsion. But like I said, I'm not sure that that would be true for sheep.

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, she does have fluids coming out...and I can see pink in there..when she pushes. Just not the bag I would expect to see. :/ :idunno

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
If fluids are coming out, then she isn't twisted.
Well, thats a good thing...I am headed out to check on her again..wish me luck, and say a prayer.
My son just called. They are rushing my DIL in for emergency C section. The baby's heart rate is dropping.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
justusnak said:
ksalvagno said:
If fluids are coming out, then she isn't twisted.
Well, thats a good thing...I am headed out to check on her again..wish me luck, and say a prayer.
My son just called. They are rushing my DIL in for emergency C section. The baby's heart rate is dropping.
Good luck to your son and DIL!

THere is a condition called ringwomb where the cervix won't dilate. It's possible to dilate manually, but I'd be SURE she's in labor first. Does she look bagged up? Can you get us more pictures?

Have you seen this site ? There's a little info on ringwomb toward the bottom. YOu'll not likely get a vet out at this hour, especially if it's storming.

Brody's Broodello

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
username taken said:
Brody's Broodello, make sure if you do the caesar on the ewe, you give her a shot to induce labour first. You will have a much higher chance of success if you do this, as opposed to just doing it before the ewe goes into labour.
Well the vet came out today, no change on the ewe. So we tried to save the lambs. Only one was alive but never took a breath. The ewe's cervix never dilated, and she was put down. She had toxemia. Poor thing, never had a chance.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I went through ringwomb with my doe, Jewel...and it wasn't anything like this...but I agree, vet and probably c section time.

Prayers to your DIL and son! My gosh, what a trial...

Latest posts