I think she's eaten something she shouldn't have

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good morning all ☀️.
First up, humblest apologies if I don't get back to you with feedback or a thank you. I'm in South Africa so very different time zone - it usually takes at least 12 hours, but often more for me to receive your answers/suggestions, and then implement them or do further research, etc. PLUS, as I'm sure we all are, I'm incredibly busy 🤯. But I am eternally grateful for this forum. You've been amazing help on my homesteading journey 🤗.

Now to business! I think one of my does has eaten something she shouldn't have. She started coughing a couple of days ago but is otherwise very healthy - eating, drinking, pooping, and generally doing goaty things. My mentor suggested giving her baking soda (free choice) which does seem to have alleviated the cough somewhat but not entirely.

This morning I conducted a "physical examination" i.e I felt her throat/neck area (and my other Saanen's throat/neck for comparison) - there's a small, hard lump roughly the size of a nail head right in the middle. So now I'm wondering if she hasn't in fact eaten a nail? 🤦

I guess my question is, where to from here?

P.S. She's pregnant (due middle of August) just in case that affects treatment etc.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you get a tube down her throat to her stomach and give her oil - like you would for a horse with colic? If she has something stuck in her throat oil might move it out.