I was right

Jayzandra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We just sold them monday. But here's a video from a couple weeks ago and the most recent pic, which was just a couple days ago.

Bacon seeds.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like this litter turned out pretty nice after all the difficulties of losing the first litter. The pigs look real good, and the gilt did a good job for the first time. I love them at that size, then they get to 40 lbs and I was always glad to see them go.....
Congrats. What did you do with the other gilt? Are you going to breed them both back for another litter?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never saw this thread....congrats on the piggies and the sale.

As far as the brown spots....yes it happens. Berks were originally a brown color not black and for some reason when you cross some of the "solid" colored pigs to a white pig you get spots and/or brown/reds popping through. I have seen it with berk, hamp, tamworth crossed to york and landrace. Very possible as Jan said that there is something hidden in there too though.

Jayzandra

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Farmerjan, we put the the first gilt in the freezer and sold the newborns to be bottle-fed. Unfortunately those 3 didn't survive. We'll be breeding this sow again and we're keeping one of her daughters to breed back to the dad. (This sow had 5 girls, 2 boys this litter) We already have 6 people waiting pigs from the next litter.
The solid pink one is actually dark skinned but with white hair. The hair has a bit of red tint it. we're keeping her to breed and we're keeping one to eat.

Thank you to everyone who helped me through these first litters! I couldn't have done it without you!!

Reactions: TAH

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats! glad it turned out to be a positive instead of negative situation.