I wish we could move....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The countryside in Va is pretty nice, as is the western part of NC and anywhere in the mountains/foothills. We get winter but it doesn't last as long as up north....Had 26 yesterday then sun and up to the 70's, and 28 this morning. A little sleety rain early for a few minutes, and chilly today; But tomorrow and the rest of the week is supposed to be up in the 60's. Don't think I could take the heat in Texas, 90's here about does me in.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
FarmerJan, sounds like you may be in between Charlottesville & Roanoke areas? I'm in far SE of state but really like the general weather of the State. I was warmer than you this AM but, all else pretty much same. I like the gentle roll of the terrain in the Blacksburg to Roanoke areas but, no moves seen in future, LOL. Winter cold not my thing, FL tooo sandy, TX some nice spots but, way long move for me to somewhere I just don't know well.

Looks like I'm here!! It's all good. Some years the summer is a little hotter than I'd like & further inland is somewhat less of that.
Overall, I like VA. NC has some nice areas, as you say.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty up there !! Spent a lot of time at Lexington Horse Park about 15 yrs ago. Once, when I was young and overly ambitious, my then DH & I looked at a couple farms in Staunton. Mind you, 40 yrs ago it was cheap...especially down a dirt road & up a hillside to a long abandoned old house. :th:p

But I wanted a farm soooo badly, similar to grandparents in WV. Didn't happen there but, did buy in NC along VA border. Divorce, moves, more land in VA. I'm settle in now but, love the area where you are. Land there is way more than I need to pay now. Such is life. :old

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The countryside in Va is pretty nice, as is the western part of NC and anywhere in the mountains/foothills. We get winter but it doesn't last as long as up north....Had 26 yesterday then sun and up to the 70's, and 28 this morning. A little sleety rain early for a few minutes, and chilly today; But tomorrow and the rest of the week is supposed to be up in the 60's. Don't think I could take the heat in Texas, 90's here about does me in.

Atm i like my weather better low was 40 last night and high is 60 today...i am sure i will change my mind in a few weeks when we have a foot of snow and it is in the 20s. Last year was really only bad for about 3 weeks which i was very happy about.

If they would just keep the outdoor heat on during winter i would be fine living here...oh and long days :D The winter depression is starting to set in but i am trying to stay positive about it...just sucks so badly when you get home at 4:30-5pm and it is dark at 5:30pm.

I will probly seriously look into moving when my folks pass away or if i found a really good job in my line of work so i could afford to visit home fairly often.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I hear all of you and there are indeed beautiful places all across out country. Seems every place has a little something to offer that isn't quite as good some place else. Loved New England for the fall colors and that general time of year, Also the summers weren't as long or as hot, but that doesn't really exist here. Cold didn't used to bother me but I've begun to like it less as I've gotten older. Past few days have been wonderful with night temps around 40 and day temps right around 70 +/-5 degrees or so. Up that way is very expensive to live and very crowded as well. I loved living in Tidewater VA, close to the beach and ocean fishing, great fresh seafood, but more traffic than anyone could possibly hope for combined with high all around taxation. FL was hot, flat, all sand and either palm trees or pine trees... yuck!

I guess we all become more or less "comfortable" about where we live and take the "bad" with the "good" and very few really "like change" or the unknown, and moving covers both of those bases fairly well. Having spent my active years in the military, putting down roots wasn't really an option, so I spent my "formative years" from Maine to FL and in between in VA. Then I spent 15 years out in Colorado. I'm pretty sure where I'm at now is where I'm staying. Home is where I decide I want to be, regardless of where parents/siblings/kids/relatives are located. They all have their lives to live too. About the only thing that might change that would be winning the lottery. But then I would be able to afford basically all my dreams and could have multiple places and travel. I think we all know the odds of that happening ;)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hear all of you and there are indeed beautiful places all across out country. Seems every place has a little something to offer that isn't quite as good some place else. Loved New England for the fall colors and that general time of year, Also the summers weren't as long or as hot, but that doesn't really exist here. Cold didn't used to bother me but I've begun to like it less as I've gotten older. Past few days have been wonderful with night temps around 40 and day temps right around 70 +/-5 degrees or so. Up that way is very expensive to live and very crowded as well. I loved living in Tidewater VA, close to the beach and ocean fishing, great fresh seafood, but more traffic than anyone could possibly hope for combined with high all around taxation. FL was hot, flat, all sand and either palm trees or pine trees... yuck!

I guess we all become more or less "comfortable" about where we live and take the "bad" with the "good" and very few really "like change" or the unknown, and moving covers both of those bases fairly well. Having spent my active years in the military, putting down roots wasn't really an option, so I spent my "formative years" from Maine to FL and in between in VA. Then I spent 15 years out in Colorado. I'm pretty sure where I'm at now is where I'm staying. Home is where I decide I want to be, regardless of where parents/siblings/kids/relatives are located. They all have their lives to live too. About the only thing that might change that would be winning the lottery. But then I would be able to afford basically all my dreams and could have multiple places and travel. I think we all know the odds of that happening ;)

I moved around the US and over seas for many years i only moved back to michigan 5yrs ago. I decided to stay here because of my dad mostly. My dad was in the marines during Vietnam and often was one of the first teams in when the agent orange was many many times still dripping off the plants. As a result he has all the classic signs of agent orange, including we discovered 4 yrs ago the agent orange chemicals are actually eatting away his cerebellum and will eventually end up killing him. in the past 8 yrs he has gone from an active man in his early 60s to having incredible balance problems where he falls down a lot, his spine is deteriorating, he can no longer drive a car because he does not have the coordination. He also had a heart attack that required a triple by pass at 43yrs old which the non-VA doctors say is common in those exposed to high levels of agent orange. However the VA says none of his symptoms are from his activities when he was active duty so they are not giving him much help or support. On top of all of that my father has always suffered from PTSD very badly but refuses treatment for it. Even to the point he used to wake my mother up with his rifles out and tell here "their out there right now watching us and their going to kill us all" he ment the gorillas and would be running around the house with a loaded rifle looking out the windows. Thankfully he has gotten a bit better but he still has symptoms of PTSD which will never go away. So yeah i decided to stay here until my father passes away as i dont think there is much time left and i spent 11yrs moving all over the place and hardly ever seeing him.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks to your dad for his service and I'm so sorry that this is happening to him. Far too frequent story I'm afraid. Those who were in Vietnam have had the most unfair time of it... You're a good daughter for sticking around.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks to your dad for his service and I'm so sorry that this is happening to him. Far too frequent story I'm afraid. Those who were in Vietnam have had the most unfair time of it... You're a good daughter for sticking around.
Ditto! I have a lot of respect for that. I "tip my hat" to you @misfitmorgan