I00 to come

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had my ewes scanned over the weekend (65 of them) and that's a conveniently nice round number to work with. 35 scanned for twins, 2 for triplets , 24 singletons. 4 'empty' They are due from 15th March onwards (by dates).

Now for this neck of the woods, that's a tiny number of lambs, but it's enough to keep me on my toes. It's usually enough, too, to see prolapses, malpresentation, dystocia, mis-mothering and still births. Last year was relatively OK as I have a closed flock of ewes who are largely not first timers and any with bad obstetric histories have gone.

For now I'm trying to keep them in good condition and contented, as quiet and contented ewes are easy to lamb. As my sheep are tame (for which read spoilt) they tend to be trusting of my helping them out at lambing on the whole..... our local 3,000plus sheep man scoffed at how difficult it was to persuade my little flock to get into the scanner "If I had sheep like that I wouldn't keep sheep", but has to admit that their trust and compliance in labour is something he is not familiar with.

Well, all I can say is keep those pics. of lambs coming until the time I can post some of my own.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sweet! That's a lot of lambs due! Best of luck for minimal complications! Emojis aren't working so no fingers crossed....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh I can't wait to see your lamb pics! 100 lambs!! Yup, you are going to be busy.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Horrid weather forecast here for the next week or two, so I'm watching them extra-closely with their growing bellies. Snow,high winds and low temperatures, but I guess it's January and UK!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I thought that you folks over there in the UK had moderate winters due to the effects of the gulf stream? Anyway and regardless, hope there are no serious issues.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Latestarter, yes that's the theory and largely it's true. I live at 1,000 feet though and in Wales which is known for being wet. As we live 'out in the sticks' there is usually a period in the winter when we are snowed in for a day or two, and that's just what is forecast for right now. we certainly don't have the wide range of temps. that you see between winter and summer and, being tiny, there isn't that much regional variation either. Climate change is certainly having it's effect on us, though.

We live on the leeward side of a hill and there's some shelter in all of the fields, so the girls should be able to cope.If we were lambing, then we would have to have them in the shed, I think.

Currently it's just raining,but that's due to change any time. Fortunately the larder and fridge are well stocked and we have an unopened crate of wine!