I00 to come

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've taken pics. of the lamb with the 'golden fleece', but my computer isn't allowing to post any pics. right now.

I am so glad that Myrtle finally had those babies!! And that they are both doing well. How is she doing?[/QUOTE]

Myrtle is doing fine, though she is very tired. To be honest I am very pleased to not have to milk her twice a day. I'm keeping her indoors for a couple of days, then letting her out behind the shed....good protection from wind, lots of shelter etc. She'l be in there with just her son so I can continue to target her with extra food.

The 'triplets' turned out to be twin ram lambs....good size and seem healthy......again. I'm happy not to add to the 'bottle babies'.

There are SO many of them with huge udders, I could fine that 10 had given birth overnight (I do hope not).3 of them really don't look like they could continue much longer....bellies either nearly touching the ground, or a seemingly impossible width.

2 'sickies' in the shed along with the ewes with lambs ....one who appears to have a septic arthritis and the other who prolapsed two weeks ago and has worn a harness ever since.

Never a dull moment.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats on Myrtle finally letting those boys out! That has to be somewhat of a relief for you, though short lived with everything else going on... Thanks to all for the yellow wool explanation... I had no idea either and assumed that was "normal"...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation about the yellow lambs. I just figured it was from the amniotic fluids, never knew it was from s distressed birth.

What is septic arthritis? And how do you treat it? Prolapse I understand, never seen a harness, so my mind is trying to conjure up a picture of a harness to hold a ewe's lady parts in place.......afraid I am coming up a miserable failure at that. Got pictures?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
...Prolapse I understand, never seen a harness, so my mind is trying to conjure up a picture of a harness to hold a ewe's lady parts in place.......afraid I am coming up a miserable failure at that. Got pictures?

I wish I'd had one of these a few years ago when one of my ewes prolapsed. We were completely helpless and didn't know a vet and decided to put her down. With a harness, at least her and the lambs could have been saved and we could have culled later.

266.jpg

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is septic arthritis? And how do you treat it?
It's bugs in a joint, usually due to a perforating injury. I usually use penicillin and streptomycin mixture.

Mysunwulf has shown a good pic of a harnessed ewe. There's a neck strap and straps around the back legs connected by the back strap and click fittings (all adjustable). There are holes for the tail and poo. etc.
the difficult bit is reducing the prolapse.Tip the ewe onto her back, wash the prolapse with very mild antiseptic solution, lubricate well, and gently re-insert the vagina and womb, then apply the harness whilst holding in the prolapse (a two-person job).Locally granulated sugar is used to 'shrink' the vagina/womb if it's very swollen. Afterwards give her an anti-inflammatory and penicillin/streptomycin for 2-3 days. The harness has to come off as soon as labour sets in. Meanwhile, reduce the bulk in the diet....much less hay/silage etc. and don't permit too much exercise.

Amy (my prolapsed ewe_) started scratching yesterday, so her harness came off, but she hasn't done anything yet. Her prolapse has remained in.

Triplets and twins have arrived since yesterday.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the prolapse education. I don't think I would want to keep a ewe like that or her offspring. But I can see the advantage of keeping one long enough to get the lambs raised, then hustle them off to sale.

Another question, is prolapse hereditary or is it a mineral/vitamin deficiency?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the prolapse education. I don't think I would want to keep a ewe like that or her offspring. But I can see the advantage of keeping one long enough to get the lambs raised, then hustle them off to sale.

Another question, is prolapse hereditary or is it a mineral/vitamin deficiency?

I should let @Sheepshape answer questions on her own thread ;) But for now... :old Vaginal prolapse is widely assumed to be hereditary, whereas uterine is accidental. So far they haven't found any vitamin/mineral deficiencies as the cause. Though as Sheepshape said, you want to reduce the bulk in the rumen when they have prolapsed. Farmers speculate all sorts of things about why ewes prolapse, including that they eat too much poor quality hay, they eat big bale hay, they eat with their body inclined, they are overly conditioned, the weather, etc. But honestly I think vaginal prolapse is a combination of genes and bad luck.

Now will someone stop my ranting? :duc

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
^^ what mysunwolf said. Also there's a possible association of prolapse with the extremely short tail docking some (mainly show circles) do. Personally I don't care for the ultra short tail docking anyway, if I ever had a breed that needed its tail docked, I'd take it only to about the length my naturally-shorttailed sheep's tails are.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I should let @Sheepshape answer questions on her own thread ;)
No problem at all...education is education and I'm more than happy for my thread to be educational.

Amy, my prolapse ewe, has no family history of prolapse, her tail isn't at all short, she's been eating very good quality rye grass silage (small amounts) and I have her sister and a couple of half sisters of hers who haven't any prolapse history. (Mum is aged 13 plus). She's greedy and a bit overweight.Our weather is always AWFUL.....it's Wales.

Well, the story gets more interesting (or worse and more costly). Today she became very grumpy and showed clear labour signs....and out came her prolapse.....a long way....and she was in bad pain. Off to the vet (too busy to come to us).....C section for Amy.....2 ram lambs.....the second needing heavy resuscitation etc (vet nurse wanted to give up, but I asked to continue and did mouth-to-muzzle). All back home now....Amy OK, first lamb a bit better after being under the heat lamp, second lamb still pretty flat and not looking good, but alive. Amy not wanting to let them feed, but licking them and 'talking' to them. Looks like another sleepless night ahead.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:hugs:bow:fl So sorry Sheepshape... Try to get some rest as you're able. best wishes for Amy and her ram lambs.