ice cream

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our kids love ice cream, and we eat a lot of it. I am considering adding another doe just to have enough excess milk to make ice cream 2-3 times a week. Right out of the ice cream freezer, it is nice and soft. Once it goes into the main freezer, it is a solid block and needs thawing to eat.

Does anyone have a secret to keep the ice cream from freezing quite so hard in the freezer?

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just made Peppermint goat's milk Ice Cream. No sorry no solution for freezing hard. It does freeze hard but I find a few minutes out of the freezer and a good scoop rinsed in hot water helps. Are you making the cooked custard type recipe?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I make frozen yogurt a lot and have the same issue. Trying not to add more sugar (calories), alcohol works, but not suitable for day use! I'm going to look for a popsicle form--do you think your kids might enjoy that and then do the eat-at-once-while-it's-soft once a week? Thought of ice cube trays, but to messy.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would rather the kids consume the granulated sugar over the high fructose corn syrup. If the ice cream is in the freezer, the kids (8, 6, 2) will eat about 1.5 gals a week. While it is best fresh, I am hoping to use a lot of the excess milk this summer to make extra ice cream for the freezer to get us through winter. Of course, we also want to make cheese, so I don't anticipate a large build up of excess milk.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cricket said:
I make frozen yogurt a lot and have the same issue. Trying not to add more sugar (calories), alcohol works, but not suitable for day use! I'm going to look for a popsicle form--do you think your kids might enjoy that and then do the eat-at-once-while-it's-soft once a week? Thought of ice cube trays, but to messy.
I know tupperware has popsicle forms.

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a way that can NOT fail !!!

Eat it faster!!! :lol:

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Are you making a custard type ice-cream and storing it in a refrigerator freezer vs a chest or upright freezer? It only takes about 5 minutes of setting on the table before I can easily scoop my icecream with a standard solid icecream scoop. (Tested that today)My recipe is 2 qts goat milk, start warming it, add 6 beaten eggs to milk then combine 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup flour, pinch of salt (and 1/2 cup cocoa if you want chocolate) in another bowl then add with wisk to warm milk, do not boil but cook and let thicken and wisk constantly as in pudding. Remove from heat and add 2 tsps vanilla (or flavor suitable to the type you are making). Let cool.
Churn in icecream maker approx 1/2 hr. (add salt and ice per maker instructions) I freeze my icecream in cottage cheese type containers.

If I make peppermint I add 3 or 4 crushed candy canes to the last few minutes of the freezing in the icecream maker and substitute peppermint flavoring.

Just made the chocolate mix, going out to milk the goats then will churn it.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I add cow cream from the grocery to ours to make it softer...it still gets hard, but not AS hard.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The recipe we like best so far is
5qts milk
4 eggs
2.5 cups sugar

Start heating milk on stove. Wisk eggs and sugar together. Slowly add to milk. Heat to about 190F. Add flavoring (vanilla, peppermint, etc). Cool in fridge and then freeze in ice cream maker.

I haven't had a batch last long enough to get a second one made, so right now they are in the kitchen freezer. Eventually, I want to stock it in the upright freezer.