Icelandic ewe relentlessly butting her 2 herdmates( including 1 goat)

farmingwithfive

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
hi everyone,
I have only a few years experience keeping livestock, but I've kept icelandic sheep and goats together in the past, no problem ( they can even share minerals) so my current herd is only 3, my very pregnant nubian goat and 2 icelandic ewes(possibly pregnant, were with the ram for one week before I picked them up in march)
well, I have one ewe who is relentlessly butting the other girls! I had to split their area of the barn so she doesn't injure my pregnant goat, and now she just pounds on the other ewe, constantly. the other ewe even lays on the ground to try to avoid it, she gives up challenging the mean ewe and she still gets pounded in the head and stomach too

2 more points..yes I could put the nicer ewe with the goat, but I have seen her butt the goats tummy on occasion during feeding and don't want the baby kid injured because my goats due in about a week. putting each girl in 3 separate sections seems a bit much too me.

also, the mean ewe just had a natural "break" in her wool, which means it just pulls out easily, like shedding. this did not happen with the other ewe. online research led me to read that pregnant iceIandic ewes can have this natural break in wool in spring (and Rams too). anyone experience this before and, if this means she's pregnant, is that possibly why she's Soo mean?

I don't want to have to protect my herd from someone in my own herd☹️

sorry this is Soo lengthy and thanks in advance

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I have never kept goats and sheep together. I have hair sheep and they all get a long pretty good. You said you got these sheep in March. Maybe their problem is that you didn't raise them, raise them with goats and the sheep just don't get along with goats.

Some animals, like some people, don't get a long with anybody. Hopefully the ewes are pregnant and will have ewe lambs. You can wean the lambs in with goats and teach them to behave. If the mean ewe doesn't straighten up, you might have to sell her.

My animals have to get along. Any mean or ornery animals will be slaughtered or sold. I have them for my enjoyment, if they are trying to kill each other, that is not enjoyment.

Do the sheep have horns and does the goat have horns? Sometimes a horned animal will be a bully to a polled animal.

Don't you ever worry about a long post. We are glad to help you.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Sorry for the reason though. Some animals are just plain mean... No better way to say it. I have a Lamancha doe like that. She chases the kids and constantly wants to try and assert her dominance over everyone else. I've even seen her sneaking up on herd members with their heads through the fence so they're trapped and she can really hammer them. When her kids are weaned, she's history. I have already seen some of her traits in her son (wethered) from last year and I do NOT want her as an example for her doe from this kidding season that I intend to keep. I'll tag a couple of Sheeple here who may have additional info to add. @Sheepshape @mysunwolf @Mike CHS @Roving Jacobs @luvmypets and I know there are others. Hope you can get the issue resolved.

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

farmingwithfive

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you Soo much for your replies and advice! she's as mean as ever, and yes she has horns, and my goat is polled. not too fair.

I'm leaning toward selling her to avoid the headache, but who would want to even buy a mean sheep? hopefully an icelandic breeder may be on here and know if the wool "breaking" naturally means she's pregnant ☺️

Last edited:

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would sell her. No point in putting time and money into an animal that is putting your other stock in danger. Also the fact she has horns means she could really hurt your does or possibly cause problems in their pregnancies. I would seperate her from your other sheep/goats as I would be afraid of her seriously hurting them.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's unusual for a ewe to be mean/nasty, rams are often that way. There is a strict 'pecking order' in sheep, though. It doesn't usually extend to regular head-butting, and, if there's a ram, he's usually Boss.

If there's no ram, there will be an alpha ewe. She will always get the best of the food, etc, and will resort to butting or pushing other ewes out of her way. I remember one ewe I had, clearly Boss Lady, who would walk up to where another ewe was lying, paw her first and then and push at her until she got up, purely to have that particular spot to lie in the field.

If the aggressive behaviour starts after a period of being placid, then she may be ill. Changed hormonal status, like pregnancy could be the cause, too.

I believe Icelandics are 'shedding sheep', so they lose their fleeces naturally each year and don't need to be sheared. Sheep who do need shearing usually only lose after they have had a severe illness, are badly mineral deficient etc. I'm assuming this ewe has been wormed and is OK for minerals etc.

If she isn't pregnant and isn't ill i.e, just mean, you would be better off without her.

farmingwithfive

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thanks guys!

we will probably put her up for sale. I was really hoping for a lamb from her, but I don't think I want to wait until June to find out ( since she was only with the ram for the last week of February)

sheepshape, I am very interested to find out if the ewes always have a natural break in the wool or just when pregnant or lactating. I am usually pretty decent at doing my "homework" but I somehow previously missed this fact about the icelandic breed I find it to be advantageous since I planned shearing the ewes myself and we've already easily pulled off 85% of her wool. I know it's called 'rooing' and it's quite fun (for the kids too)

I'm thinking I'll post this question separately and see if there's any icelandic breeders here. I've emailed a breeder in the area, hopefully she knows something.

thanks again all!

Latest posts