ICK Earmites!!!

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have been lax on checking ears the last couple of weeks. Up until today I have not seen anything wrong with the ears until today. I went out to the garage and checked the rabbits (moved them all in so I don't have anymore babycicles) and see that my doe has got an icky ear. I bring her into the house and start cleaning it and then I notice that the crustys have crawlies on them. EEWWWW I HATE EARMITES!!!!!! So now I have to treat everyone just to be safe. GGGRRRRR. Maybe this is the reason she isn't taking to being bred.

maidservant

Just born
Reaction score
Mineral oil with a few drops of camphophynique (not sure about the spelling) works wonders. The campho produces fumes that will make mites stay out of the ears for about a month and for a day or two it will numb the ears to provide some relief for the rabbit. Just be sure to re-treat every two weeks for 2 months to get the eggs that hatch out. I have some rabbits that are constantly battling ear mites out in the colony, and they will come running when they see the squirt bottle. They know it makes them feel better, although they do sling oil all over me...

Emily in NC

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Where do I get the campho from?

maidservant

Just born
Reaction score
I get mine at walmart, in the pharmacy section, but any pharmacy should have it. Tiny green bottle. Pick up an eyedropper while you're there if you don't already have one. Makes it easier to measure it out.

Dennis

Just born
Reaction score
Hello ALL,
I have just joined this forum and would like to post what has worked for me when I had to treat Ear-mites.
I use Ivermectine/Zimectrine Horse Paste Wormer.
A droplet the size of a small Green-pea placed on the lips or paws with a twig or tongue depressor. Even a double dose if you feel the rabbit has not taken the whole dose will not be a problem.
I would also clean the gunk out of the ears as best as you can with a dampened cotton-ball. Also clean and disinfect the cage with a 20% bleach solution. Treat every rabbit in the herd.
You can also place a few derops of any oil into the ears and massage to allow the oil to get to the bottom of the ear. The oil drowns the existing mites [Note, you can not see the mites without a microscope]
Retreat in seven days to get any hatchlings.
When using any Meds allow at least 30 days after last treatment before using any treated rabbit as a food source.
Dennis, C.V.R.

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have to agree with the use of Ivermectin for ear mites, as well as wool mites...

The dosage for 1.87% horse wormer paste is one RICE sized glob per 4 pounds of body weight.

The dosage for 1% Ivermectin injectible for cattle and swine is one DROP orally or subQ if you can manage it safely per pound of body weight.

The dose for .27% is two DROPS per pound of rabbit or 1/2 CC orally or SubQ.

I treat my entire herd with Ivomec 1% once a month as a preventive and I have never had wool or ear mites.

The horse paste will work, and it is about $7 per tube at TSC or similar, BUT the dosing is not as accurate.
The 50ML bottle of Ivomec injection for cattle and swine (or just generic Ivermectin) is about $40 but will last you FOREVER.

Good luck.

BTW: Here is an article on administering Ivermectin injectible in rabbits easily by putting the drops into their supplements in the feed dish, without having to wrestle the rabbit and risk overdose.
https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/brcom.html

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wanted to add-

For prevention, dose once a month...

For an acute case, administer 3 dose total, 10 days apart each.

DO not overdose. It can be lethal.

missy_cbell21

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
one of my rabbits has worms under her cage, she was in contact with her poop for a few days and I'm sure that is what did it. The worms look like a grain of rice. Another few of them have ear crusties so we are treating for mites with just oil. would the ivermictin treat for the worms and mites? is it safe for pregnant does and kits?