I'd like to see pictures of your bucks/wethers before butchering

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm debating on who to keep, who to castrate for my meat buck. I have a spanish and a boer X. However, I'm just looking to see pictures of stock you've butchered. I'd like those pictures to be within a couple days of butcher where possible so I know what I'm looking at. The spanish is 10 months, so butcher age from what I understand, trying to get a visual on what I need to look for.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
When choosing a buck for meat purposes, you want to select one with a long loin that is wide and deep (feel around it, if it feels bony then there isn't much meat there but if it feels full then there's meat). Also full legs with a deep twist.

Are you choosing on which one to keep for breeding and which one to eat? Keep the meatiest buck for breeding and eat the inferior one.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm choosing which one to keep for breeding and which one to castrate. The difference is, one's 7 weeks and the other is 10 months. So I'm just trying to guage whether or not I want to castrate the one anyway because he isn't producing meat like he should. He's a spanish buck, and I have a boer X buckling (probably sired by the spanish but we can't be certain).

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know about goat growth and development, but with my sheep, you can see muscle at a young age... dam raised lambs start putting on muscle (if they are going to have lots of it) at just 4-6 days old. Their legs start getting plump and meaty. The best way since you are comparing a 2 month old to a 10 month old is to hope you have a picture of the 10 month old when he was 2 months old or rely on memory to see which one is more muscular. And don't just rely on physical appearance, for a meat animal you also want fast growth. So if you have birth weights, weaning weights, and post-weaning weights, use those too to compare growth rates.

Latest posts