Ideas for homestead crafts?

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm thinking of things I could make on the homestead to sell or provide materials for. I was thinking of pysanky, making fishing flies, knitting possibly, catnip toys, and wooden chews for rabbits, etc. What are some other ideas? I'm not gonna subject innocent people to my huge list of desired animals. Just think of general crafts, please. :) I plan on eventually working mostly at home (with a "real" job on the side- still going to college and stuff) and I want to find ways of making money without having to resort to large-scale growing. Thanks in advance!

schmije

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Where to start?

How about learning to spin fleece from sheep, alpacas or rabbits? There's a huge market for homemade yarn. There are also lots of things that can be done with gourds - painting, carving, making birdhouses. You could raise bees and sell honey, beeswax, lip balm, candy. Do you have dairy animals? Butter, cheese, and yogurt are popular, although the laws on selling food items might make it prohibitive. Or you could make all sorts of pet treats.

We just started making rag rugs. You'd need a loom, but they're fairly simple to make, and people will give you free bags of old clothes (blue jeans in particular) if you just ask.

Our list of hobbies is far too long, and our time is way too short. We dabble in lots of things, but not enough to make a living at any of them.

BlondeSquirrel04

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
GLENMAR said:
Homemade soaps or Dog Treats.
Soaps are already oversaturated. Everyone and their brother makes soap.

The spinning is a great idea. I've got bags and bags of fiber sitting around that I've been too lazy/busy to send somewhere to be spun!

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I do jewelry --everybody does jewelry-- but I also do homemade playdough, recycled crayons, homemade sidewalk chalk, homemade bouncy balls.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Antler art may be another idea: lamps, tables, shelves, etc... They typically command high prices too.

Custom log/wood milling, but that requires a lot of equipment as investment.

Leather working, leather crafts, furs. I raise meat goats and also buy goats that people want to get rid of, but don't have the heart to take to slaughter themselves. Some interesting colors come through and I would love to find someone to tan hides for me. I just don't have time to do it myself.

Needle-felted toys and stuffed animals

Farm-themed aprons (chicken prints, goat applique, etc...)

Michigan just readjusted their cottage food law so that now you can make up to 20,000 a yr from homemade foods with some exclusions (dairy for one). I'm trying to post the link but it isn't working (just google Cottage Food Law Michigan).

Depending on your land, maybe start a "pick your own ____".

Natural dyes for yarn and fleece.

Maybe raise flax for handspinners since it isn't very easy to find.

Seed art, pinecone art, natural baskets or garden frames for beans, cukes, etc...

Cake decorating. I used to work with a gal who did this on the side. To stay in practice, she would make us a cake once a month. Not that we complained about her "practicing" on us. :D

Funky Fudge (a guy sells his at the Tawas Famer's Market, with odd flavors like Jalapeno and Grape and Cherry Almond. They're really quite good)