Ideas for Wild Onions?

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I cut them open and it turned out to be garlic for sure. Not sure what to do with them, but I think I am going to go with @Baymule on this one and see what happens with them. I'm going to look into it further but I am really wanting to get into harvesting local plants like this (with CAUTION and expert help of course)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might want to go light on the harvest of local plants. Wildcrafting can decimate the supply. Plant lots of diversity of herbs and food bearing trees and shrubs. You have a large front and back yard, take measurements and draw up a permaculture map for planting.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just found this thread and read with interest to see how long before you discovered that they are actually wild garlic.;) We have them here, too. According to Wikipedia some people find they have an unpleasant aftertaste compared to cultivated garlic. I don't know, never having eaten any. Also, we have what we've always called wild onion, and I've never tried them. They're shaped funny, like a string of connected bulbs. You know, kind of like a peanut but with more sections, sometimes as many as half a dozen. Has anyone ever tried those? Are they really onion flavored? They do smell onion-like. Maybe I'll get brave tomorrow and try one. I think I may have as a child, but I don't remember. At least if I did it didn't traumatize me!:D