Ideas on fence corners anyone?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

We have been installing fence for sheep. We have many, many corners on the fence lines. I tried a couple of different approaches. Some are easier than others. Some require more than double the installation time.

Asking for advice and ideas.

Thank you,

Soar
1a.JPG
2a.JPG
3a.JPG
4a.JPG
5a.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just posted a ton of pictures on a tutorial on fencing. Hope it helps answer your questions. Your picture #1,2 and #3 looks doomed to fail. You would do better to do these over now rather than wait for the corner to fail and stock to escape. Picture #4 you have the right idea, but unless those are GROUND CONTACT 4x4's they will rot in a few short years. Picture #5 is the best one out of the bunch. It takes time, hard work and more hard work. But when done right, it gives peace of mind and you get to do routine maintentance rather than emergency catch 'em and patch the hole.

http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/non-climb-2-x4-horse-wire-fence.32922/page-2

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ditto to Baymule's post. The orners that you put in are not the best way to go for long term use. You need to put in much heavier posts that are pressure treated , " H " crossbraced at eah corner and tied together with heavy wire that you can tighten. Your current corners are an accident waiting to happen either to you and/ or the animals. Also, the fencing that you chose is very easy for the sheep to put their heads through in an attempt to eat grass on the other side and stretch the fence wires. Also, potencially the sheep can get their head stuck / panick then hurt themselves. I know , I know ... more work for you ,but well worth it to do it now then do it later with much more sweat and labor.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good eye Bossroo, I didn't notice the field fencing. I have used it before and I hate the stuff. It was a huge mistake on my part to use it to fence a previous property we owned. :he It breaks, stretches, and is total crap. :somad I got suckered in by the cheaper price and thought I was doing great because of the smaller holes on the bottom. I just knew it was perfect for keeping dogs out. It didn't. Not even big dogs. Big dogs could actually squeeze and wriggle in those squares until the wires slid apart. :thMy horses stuck their hooves in it and pawed it to pieces and totally walked it down to the ground. Cows were even worse on it.

@soarwitheagles reading back over my posts, it sure sounds like I'm beating up on you. Please don't take it that way, I have made all these mistakes and lived to regret them. It made much, much more work for me in the long run.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for excellent input and advice. Well, I will install the extra 6 inch poles in the "H" version for each corner, remembering to also install the diagonal wires for lateral bracing. Darn, cutting corners never seems to work...esp. when working with fencing!:barnie

I haven't the resources/funding at this time to use the 2"x4" no climb fencing for the entire 2000ft. run [it is nearly double the cost of the woven wire]. When I did the initial take off for this fence job, I immediately realized to use the best materials [no climb fencing] was far above our present budget. I had to make due with what we had. For now, the woven wire is working well...no sheep caught up in it, no shifting of the wires, etc. I did use the no-climb wire for the 100'x100' sheep pen as an added precaution against coyotes. So far, no problems.

We do have an entire pallet of the 6" x 10' posts...so I have no excuse for not using those. Back to the drawing board and I realize now I should have asked more questions before starting this project.

Will keep you updated as to the progress!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
You all will hate my corner and in-line posts then....
Have a few, slightly different than pictured, for a field fence I put up last year. And just put up 7 for a tight hot fence.
Works for me, but not under the much higher forces that professionally installed fences are on.
2016-04-01 21.03.56.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Soar, those 4x4's you used for a corner can be used for the middle brace in "H" braces or corner braces. They just aren't any good for ground contact. I am a master of making do with what I have, so I totally get you there. You just have to do what you can do sometimes. Just keep an eye on the field fencing so you don't get any problems.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You all will hate my corner and in-line posts then....
Have a few, slightly different than pictured, for a field fence I put up last year. And just put up 7 for a tight hot fence.
Works for me, but not under the much higher forces that professionally installed fences are on.
View attachment 16172
Girl, I have seen you do things with just a little bit of something. You know what works for you! :thumbsup