If all goes well

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow, if all goes well, I will fall head long into the world of cows.

The price of purchasing a cow outright has kept me out of the running until recently. I saw an ad online for a bred milk cow being sold as the family is downsizing to easier keeping animals in order to be able to travel with their growing children. Something inspired me so I sent a note asking if they'd accept payments. After some discussion, an agreement was worked out and we go to pick up a trailer in the morning and drive up to get her.

She's a Holstein X Milking Shorthorn with mostly shorthorn traits. She's 6 years old, an easy calver and good mother, bred to AI to a Red Angus and due in May. She ties to milk and is currently not being pushed to produce milk and is, on once a day milking, producing a gallon and a half with no supplementation. She's been a solo cow her whole life, is pretty easy going and enjoys human contact. She also comes with a milking machine/pump kit as well as a cream separator.

I'm so stupidly excited. I've dug back through the books I have that contain information on cows, have read up on things to look and watch for and I feel I've prepared myself as much as you can until your experience is more hands on. I've dealt with cows before, milked by machine and hand, so this isn't foreign to me.

When you got your first cow, what was something you learned quickly that no book was able to teach you?

Latest posts