If I breed my castor buck with my REW doe will any babies be REW?

Tonya

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Not sure if this thread still open but have a question on this thread of mine, so I have a broken castor doe if I breed her with my castor Buck will any babies be white? Or what will the baby's look like? Im breeding the 2 tomorrow. Just curious what the baby look like.
Thank you! :)

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have any reason to think that your buck has a REW gene? Have you had REW babies from him in the past? How about the doe - are either of her parents REW's, or has she had REW babies? The most likely result here is Castor and Broken Castor, but not knowing what other genes might be lurking behind all the dominant genes that Castors express, it's hard to say what other possibilities there might be.

Tonya

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The does mom is a REW with a broken hidden gene I have the does mom & dad he's a castor no REW genes in him. I bought another castor last month to breed my broken castor doe, but his colors look like castor but lighter in color. They told me he was a choclate color but he looks like my other castor buck just lighter brown. Thank you

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
The "c" gene or the REW gene can hide for several generations. So only way to know is to breed them and hope the correct genes combine. You do know the doe carries it since her dam was a REW. There is a chocolate version of castor, chocolate agouti or amber it's called. Check out http://wildriverrabbitry.weebly.com it's got a very good color guide for mini rex.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Amber really doesn't look like a castor; it's more like a darker shade of red. This little guy is an amber:
a057ec5d-b674-4723-88b8-c46278bb4c80_zpsaqpf4ti0.jpg

This is a castor:
20161217_135039_zps051rvsub.jpg

Castor isn't just the Mini Rex name for what other breeds call Chestnut, it's a darker, more intense color because there is much more of the yellow/red pigment in the hair on a Castor.

If your rabbit looks a lot like a Castor, just somehow lighter in color, it may be a Chestnut.

BTW, this is a Chocolate:
20160408_180811_zpsmzzvglol.jpg

Last edited:

Tonya

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Aww your rabbits are pretty I like orange color rabbits there so pretty! He doesn't look amber color but he looks more towards chestnut color! Thank you for the info :)