If I run my boar and sows together how do I deal with birthing piglets

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she is that close to farrowing, and she has "bolted for the wilds" then it is very unlikely she will come to you at this point. It is true that they will often not eat or drink much for the first few days if in a semi-wild state. If in a comfy pen and the owner is at their beck and call they will more often be willing to get up and leave the babies to eat and/or drink and to go to the bathroom.
So, that said.... leave the other pigs/hogs in the field where she "bolted from" for at least 2 weeks if at all possible. And make sure when you go feed them, to ring the bell that she is accustomed to. But be prepared for her to come back by herself and not bring the piglets for awhile. If she comes back for feed, you might be able to follow her back to the nest where she had the piglets, but be aware that if she feels threatened by your presence, she also could move them. Or she could bet very aggressive and protective and you could get bitten or otherwise hurt.

Not saying she will do any of these things. BUT, you said she was newly acquired, so is less likely to be as trusting of you as one that you raised. And when a hog has a litter, you just don't know, how hormones will affect her, and what attitude she will take.

There is little that you can do to protect her from predators, because if you get near her and she has not farrowed, she could move, or if she has them and gets upset, sows have also been known to kill their own pigs when in a state of agitation.

The pigs will become pretty active by about 2 weeks, but they will tire easily and moving them might be difficult.

Hopefully you will be able to find them, and she will realize that coming for feed is preferable to being a "wild hog".

Next time, do whatever you have to do to prepare a place for her, then move the others away and leave her, or any other sow, where they are. They often will not like being moved that close to farrowing. They prefer to choose their own space and it is often not too far from where they are familiar.

Lisellev

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and encouragement!

I found her! It was truky like finding a needle in a haystack. Found her this morning and doing well with 9 of the 12! Piglets she had birthed! It was a feat, but we did manage to get her and the piglets moved to safety!
Thanks again!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow... that's great to hear! Post some pics if you get the chance. I as well as others would love to see.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad that you found her and was able to get her moved with no obvious physical "damage" to yourselves. 9 piglets is a pretty good sized litter to take care of, it is sad to lose a few but as long as she takes care of these after getting her moved then you did good.

Dani4Hedgies

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congrat on finding your wild Nellie and getting 9 healthy happy piggies out of it. Can't wait to see pictures of them.

Lisellev

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
20180206_142439.jpg

Yes, we were sooo lucky to find her and be able to move her and piglets safely (for all). Here she is with the babes just before we moved her.

By the way, I haven't had a chance to get into my profile yet, but we're in Southern Oregon :)

Latest posts