If you want BYCows to stay the way it is... Show it!

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
I have to agree with everyone on here about this. I really don't like the idea of a Backyard Herds forum because chances are that the folks that are associated with goats and sheep won't be participating in the discussion or politics on cattle or vice versa. You can't raise a cow or two in a suburb one-acre back yard; you can with goats and chickens. Like IMMG and GFG said, we cattle folk are an elite group of people that raise cattle not because it's a hobby or an interest, but because its a way of life, something that is much harder to let go than say sheep, goats or chickens, per say. With goats and sheep folk getting in the midst of things, we're going to get two separate groups of people that is highly likely to not be communicating with each other on the same forum except on the chat threads. The goat/sheep people will stay on their goat/sheep subforums or threads or whatever they're called and the cattle folk will stay on their threads/subforums/forums. Sure this BYCows don't have a lot of members but so what?? This forum is about as active as any forum can be, no matter if we got 2000 less members than BYChickens or the other sister forums. But the number of members have got nothing to do with this. It's the fact that if we introduce a few sheep/goat subforums it'll really skew things. So with that, I would much rather leave BackYardCows as it is from now on and have a separate Goat/Sheep forum for the goat/sheep folks.

And maybe you can add a BYPigs forum in the process. :)

That's all I gotta say about that.
And if as you say the various types of animal owners stay in their respective animal sections how will it change the cow discussion? Reality is that it doesn't skew anything. All it does is combine more farm animal interests into an easier to manage format.

Pigs! Will take note of that. :D Thanks for the idea.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maybe if someone would tell us a little more about what might happen, if they are merged, it may help. Such as, subforums. Do we keep the catergories we have now? You know, a little bit of how it could be.
As things stand I would say only feathers are being ruffled.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I admit, I don't want it for my own selfish reasons!
I already get lost trying to keep up here sometimes, more people would mean more post to read, that would lead to more forgetting to go back and post where I was going too!

To be completly honest, after reading around, I think if it does need to be put somewhere, I think this would be the best place for it.
What I would like to see, is more of a homestead type board. Sheep/goat/rabbits/alpacas/llamas and any other odd ball critters people come up with, would be interesting! Maybe some canning, building stuff, sewing, hunting and how to wipe out slugs without hurting my birds?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
terrielacy said:
thewife said:
and how to wipe out slugs without hurting my birds?
Ducks!
Ducks are voracious slug eaters. (Sorry to go OT)
:lol: For those who don't know terrielacy from BYChickens, she's a huge duck fan.

:welcome to the herd.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
:welcome to the herd Terrielacy!

Being a huge duck fan, you know darm well what will happen if I pull the ducks off of border patrol and put them in the garden with my fish pond!

DuckLady

Loving the herd life
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you FK and the wife! Glad to be here!
thewife said:
:welcome to the herd Terrielacy!

Being a huge duck fan, you know darm well what will happen if I pull the ducks off of border patrol and put them in the garden with my fish pond!
Yes they will be happy ducks and deservedly so as well! :p

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
:welcome ive know terrilacy for a long long time.back in the days of miss cee cee.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Maybe if someone would tell us a little more about what might happen, if they are merged, it may help. Such as, subforums. Do we keep the catergories we have now? You know, a little bit of how it could be.
As things stand I would say only feathers are being ruffled.
The point is that nothing in the cow section would be taken away or lost. There would just be some new sections added below it that are specific to other animals. Much like when you look at the forum index and see MAIN, BREEDS, SOCAIL. BELOW those you would now see GOATS and then their related topics in that box ........

Done in this way traffic to the cow section would not increase with any unrelated material.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

:frow

Thank you very much for all your posts, thoughts, and suggestions!

After a lot of thought and discussion we're excited to make an announcemnt regarding BackYardCows.com.

Background:
We often receive requests to start new forums on a plethora of different animals. We'd love to be able to create a unique forum for each species, but have found that we'd spread ourselves too thin. We've been looking at a plethora of options and are happy to have found something that is a win-win situation that will maintain the great resources here at BackYardCows, but also provide a way to help more people with more questions about their own specific herds of animals.

Within the next few days we'll be launching a new site called www.BackYardHerds.com. This site will have categories for animals from goats and sheep to Llamas and horses. Instead of maintaining a forum with herds and also a cow forum, we've decided to copy everything from BYC over to the new site in it's own "Cow" section. This will be the best of both worlds: People only interested in cows can stick just to that section while those who want to branch out to other areas can do so.

Here's the plan:

1) Copy everything from BYCows to the new site (BYH)
2) Ensure that everything is functioning properly
3) Add all the new Categories (for each animal) and sub forums
4) Forward the BYCows domain to BYH so all the BYCows links will still work.

Again, we've done a lot of thinking on this and really hope everyone can support us as we take these steps. There will be a little while of construction and organization, but once the dust settles we expect that we'll be left with an even better community of like minded people able to help out and hang out. :D

If you have any questions please let us know.

(on a related note, we hope that those who have experience with some of the other animals will assist us in the development and organization of the new site. We want this to be something that everyone participates in and helps to create and grow together!)