Ignorant musings on meat shortages

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a neighbor hog slaughtering party in 2017. Three families got full freezers. Now I raise a hog for us and for a paying customer, so I go USDA slaughter facility. Lambs likewise go to slaughter, chickens we do ourselves. I can and could slaughter my own hog or lamb, but to sell it, it is what it is. I intentionally chose small livestock for a SHTF situation. I consider this present Covid 19 a trial run. It may vastly improve or it may get worse, but this is nowhere near a true SHTF situation.

I suggest that everyone take a hard look at their level of preparedness. While we can’t cover everything , we can do a lot to make our own and our neighbors and communities better in a SHTF situation. Even now, many people and communities are pulling together to help each other.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Farmers, butchering, facilities -- all depend on what a person's interpretation is for all of it. Many "casual farmers" -- hobby, backyard, whatever term -- those who do no make their living at it, well they only want "a part" of the life. So, buying/breeding, raising is as far as they want to go. Then blood & guts happens elsewhere. They tell "Hamburger" bye & pick up wrapped beef.

Plus it is a lot of work & some have no help. You have to know at least a little about anatomy, safe handling, have equipment. If you think about it -- a lot less expensive to have it done and less stressful. And, some States have laws regarding home slaughter & disposal of residuals.

I have land that would support hay making. The equipment costs more than the next ten years of hay I would buy. I don't make hay. Same with some who stop at the butchering.

I can understand it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree 1000000000% @Mini Horses . It is not practical for me to kill the chickens myself when I have 10-30 at a time. I cannot do it here at this house, not allowed. I am not talented enough to carve up a beef carcass.... I am good at skinning. I would rather spread some of the "wealth" around to people who are better at some things than I am. Plus the time it would take me to do it alone. Not fun. It becomes a real chore and then becomes something you don't want to do at all.... I CAN do alot of it myself... I just choose not to anymore. My mom and I used to kill the meat chickens I raised as 4-H projects. Again.... 2 to do it together. It makes a difference especially when you get older.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have found one place that will slaughter an individual's chickens. One. It is 1 1/2 hours away and costs $5 per chicken. Not something that I would do, but I'm sure they get quite a few people who use their services. A hog is about as big as I want to do, I wouldn't want to tackle a beef, but I guess I could if I had to. I can do anything if I set my mind to.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
$5 is too much to do the chickens unless they are offering to cut them up (parts) if you want and package in vacuum bags. and freeze..... then it is STILL TOO much. I paid $2 each last year, .50 extra for vacuum packing and they will freeze. They don't part them out so next time I get more done, I will just have them put them in the freezer chests, no bags, not frozen, just cooled, and part them out at home. I have a vacuum sealer to do them so that's fine. They are about an hour away, but it is worth it to me and worth the cost in allowing me to do something else that needs doing. Plus it is a real job to do when you are alone and all that time on my feet/legs/KNEES/ankle are just too much now.
I don't blame you for not getting them done. At least you have help with your husband helping with the plucking and stuff. And someone to talk to .....